+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Chipping out a little ceramic tile

Roto Zip has a drill bite made for what you want to do, it may even fit the Dremel.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    this may not be what you want to hear but it sounds like some of these ideas are going to take a lot of time, going out to buy specialty stuff and spending a half hour or more getting the job done if it even works. replacing a tile takes less than a half hour and it's a relatively simple process..
    Well, sure, if you want to do it the easy way!

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I figure all you pros have carbide tipped masonry bits Even I have one.

Not that I have ever forgotten to make a slot in a tile to allow for a screw hole but I've heard that any of a variety of diamond tools will work from right angle grinders to Dremel type tools like the ones in my tool trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I figure all you pros have carbide tipped masonry bits Even I have one.
    I have a box full of them, but they are all worn out.

Then, a while back, I bought a few Bosch masonry drill bits, and I've been asking myself why am I keeping all those dull bits for...

Thanks for all suggestions. I believe the drill would be too close to the edge to work. Replacing the tile requires borrowing the tile cutter which isn't feasible at the moment.
    I'll hit the store today and see what diamond coated wheels are available.

The metal cutoff wheel that came with my dremel kit was quite effective for me when I had to widen a tile opening to fit a GFCI receptacle where the prior homeowner thought a standard was just fine(3 ft from the kitchen sink).
    The cheap knock off dremel kits should have em, if all you have is a battery powered dremel, maybe you can supplement with a corded, won't cost much at Costco or HF.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

A Dremel diamond wheel did the trick. Pricy little bugger at $17.70 at the local HD.
    Thanks for suggestions. I'm sure a few of the others would have worked, but I went with what I had.

I'm a bit late but I use a dremel and a diamond wheel for this kind of thing if my sidegrinder and diamond wheel won't fit. Keep the heat down by going slowly and taking frequent 'breaks' to let the tile cool. I have cracked tiles even being very careful using masonary bits as they not only force inward but radially too (same as with tile-specific bits), which a diamond wheel doesn't. Slower but surer and no tile replacement ever again

Phil