+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How 2 Build A Flat Roof Over An Existing Wooden Deck On A Mobile Home

I am wanting to put a flat roof over an existing wood deck on my Dad's mobile home. Not sure on the best and cheapest way to do this. Also want it to last and be durable all year around. Anyone with advice on how to go about doing this?

Default Re: How 2 Build A Flat Roof Over An Existing Wooden Deck On A Mobile Home

Do NOT attach this roof to the mobile home. Recent tests in a wind tunnel show that this practice is the reason high winds usually tear off the roofs of mobile homes.

Use posts next to the home and attach the roof joists to them, much the same way that you would build a free standing arbor. Then deck it and put a seamless cover over it.

I would also put a little slant in the roof, at least 1/4" per foot or water will not drain off. If the deck is 8' wide, then that is only a 2" drop from one side to the other, it will look flat for all purposes.

Default Re: How 2 Build A Flat Roof Over An Existing Wooden Deck On A Mobile Home

Keith summed it up, short and to the point.

OK. Thank you very much. Dad mentioned he wants a plastic flat roof because of the price possibly being cheaper, as far as the outer roof cover. I told him I did not like that idea & wanted to check first. What is the cheapest material to use for the outer roof cover, that will will hopefully last longer & not rip the home roof completely off? He has a big stack of long 2 x 4's already to go & laying on the deck now.

If you don't have any experience in framing a roof deck - now it's not the time to learn, or you will make a bunch of costly mistakes. Get a framer to help you.

As for the final roofing layer, around my city the most popular material for flat roofs is torch down. In your city? ask around.

A thing to remember - even though it's called "flat roof", it's not really flat. It should have 1/4" slop for each foot of distance - for drainage.

OK. I did do construction several times, but that was years ago. So, it has been a while. I usually do more electronic & computer work nowadays. I have reshingled a roof before, years ago of course. But cannot say I have ever really built a truss or frame for a roof before. I beleive my Dad wants something quick, easy, & inexpensive & I am not sure what to tell him. I have friends that occasionally do drywall & floor tile work on the side, but do not know any framers at all. I'm afraid we will never know what to do with all this wood he bought & will never get a roof built before Fall or Winter. And all that wood will be warped, ruined, & useless. I've looked ****** frequently & nobody wants to help or actually tell how to do this. Just pictures of how good they did on their projects.

Quote Originally Posted by RezWood 40 View Post
    OK. I did do construction several times, but that was years ago. So, it has been a while. I usually do more electronic & computer work nowadays. I have reshingled a roof before, years ago of course. But cannot say I have ever really built a truss or frame for a roof before. I beleive my Dad wants something quick, easy, & inexpensive & I am not sure what to tell him. I have friends that occasionally do drywall & floor tile work on the side, but do not know any framers at all. I'm afraid we will never know what to do with all this wood he bought & will never get a roof built before Fall or Winter. And all that wood will be warped, ruined, & useless. I've looked ****** frequently & nobody wants to help or actually tell how to do this. Just pictures of how good they did on their projects.
    As I predicted above, you already made one costly mistake: you bought building materials before having a plan or the know how.

Since lumber deteriorates quickly, you will need to find a framer willing to step in and work with you. Your limited experience can be still useful, combined with the framer's knowledge.

So don't hesitate, go out and talk to framers. Where do you find them? besides the usual places, friends', family, etc. go to lumber shops and talk to the owners/managers.

2X4's may not be acceptable for rafters, but with a small enough span codes may allow it. By making a gable roof instead of flat you essentially cut the span length in half but now you need a ridge and at least one gable end. AQ relatively flat low-pitched gable roof won't take much more in materials than a flat roof and the shingles you can then use will be cheaper than a torch-down roof. On top of that it looks better.

Considering your apparent lack of confidence in tackling this I'd recommend in either getting a contractor to do the whole thing or finding someone who would let you help them do it to save a few $$$. Just be sure that you or them get all needed permits and inspections, and that your payment for the work will happen after all the relevant inspections have passed muster. As usual, get several quotes and be sure they are on the same page with you as to what is going to be done. Something like this should go fast and easy which is good for everybody.

Phil

OK. Sounds good. Thank you everyone. So far, I found someone nearby with 24 years contracting experience in home construction. He is disabled now do to bad injurys in construction, but he still knows many resources in that field. And would more than likely know some framers he has met throughout the years. He is very rarely home, so I will have to catch him sometime and ask him. In the meantime, I will do as you said & ask around at our local lumber yards about framers nearby that would help. But still, any advice or suggestions will always help & be appreciated. Thanks again.

I'd like to offer more help but when you say mobile home, that could be a luxurious double wide going for six figures to an 8x30 built in the 30's. I don't need a lot of details but it would be nice to know if it is newer type that has small eaves and a low pitched roof or an older one with a flat roof, no overhang to speak of and mostly all aluminum siding. The deck and roof design will be different between these two types.

Next it would help to know about how big the deck and the roof are going to be. It's not that important to know how long it will be, whether it goes the full length of the home or just 6 to 8 feet, but the width does matter. Also will there be a handicap ramp attached.

Other factors, if you are located inside a city limit or in a trailer park with covenants, that could limit your design considerably. I live in a rural area where there are a lot of mobile homes on a acre or two, and they run the full gamut I described above. You can have an old 8x40 next to a 6000 sq. ft McMansion. No covenants and the codes are pretty basic, mainly just for safety purposes. I have seen quite a few decks with roofs made from 2x4s so it is doable although there are a couple of areas that should be using 2x6 min and 4x4 posts. Treated lumber helps too.

BTW, corrugated fiberglass or metal should be the cheapest but a flat v metal roof would probably be a good compromise between looks and cost.