+ Reply to Thread

Question New glazing putty on top of old glazing putty

Hey all,

First post here, been a subscriber to the mag for a few years now. Thought I'd join in on the fun and be a part of the forum.

My question is related to the sprucing up I want to do to my older wooden windows. Most the work needed is scraping away old paint, repainting, a few rotten woods touch ups. A few of windows have a few dime size spots of glazing putty missing and rather than scraping everything away, should I be able to scrap away the surrounding paint and pop in another dollop of putty on that one spot and repaint once dry?

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: New glazing putty on top of old glazing putty

If you understand that it's only going to buy you a year or two until it resumes failure, then it's fine as a cosmetic touch.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Your "band aid" solution will get an "C" or a "D", but not an "F".

This is what I would do:

Remove all old glazing material which is probably brittle and cracking, and apply a fresh blob of new material, then work it in and cut with a putty knife or a wood chisel. Make it look professional !

Ditto on re-doing it as the best method. If the old glazing is partially failing, whatever is left isn't too long for the world either. If you must 'patch' then scratch away the surface of any spots needing attention to get all the loose glazing out leaving something solid to adhere to. Blow every bit of dust away before reglazing. This will get you 2-5 more years, a bit more if you're lucky.

Youtube has lots of Vids showing you how to do things like this. Glazing is not a hard job to learn and do well at once you understand the process and a picture is worth a thousand words. I just taught a friend how to do this a few days ago and his first solo effort looked pretty good so I know you can do it too.

Phil