+ Reply to Thread

Default Which wood for floor joists in a shed?

Well, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice.
    I need to replace the floor joists in a shed because the old ones rotted out; the shed wasn't built high enough off the ground and dirt was allowed to wash under it and touch the joists. I'm raising the shed and replacing the floor and I was going to use pressure-treated joists but then I remembered how bad it can warp; I've seen pressure-treated posts rip right off of a porch. The shed's on a slight slope and will be 4 inches off the group at the closest point so the joists should never get wet. What's my best choice of wood for those joists?
    Thanks

Default Re: Which wood for floor joists in a shed?

Pressure treated will be the best choice. As long as you purchase straight lumber and get your floor build before it has a chance to warp, it will be fine. With the framing nailed together and skinned with plywood, it won't warp.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One word of caution: With a 4" space under the shed, you'll be inviting critters to move in.

I'd opt for KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) PT lumber.

But you still have to raise it higher off the ground for better air flow, or the KDAT will pick up moisture from the planet below.

Thanks for the replies, folks.