+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireplace removal

Need help. I have just purchased a fixer upper. One of the major things that I want to accomplish is to take out a fireplace that was put in after the home was built. They placed it in a closet of one of the bedrooms. I'd like to convert this back to a bedroom. Should I start by taking out the entire wall? It is only a 10' wall of which 6' is fireplace brick. The fireplace was very poorly done in my opinion, but I have no idea what I am about to encounter by taking it out....any ideas? Approaches?

Exclamation Re: Fireplace removal

I would start with a great deal of caution. Not only do you not know about behind the wall but the direction the flue is heading or anything else (nests, for example). You could be getting into a worse situation before you start. I would highly recommend get a house inspector and mentioning what you want to do. They can give a report with the ramifications.

Default Re: Fireplace removal

Quote Originally Posted by Biddle34 View Post
    Need help. I have just purchased a fixer upper. One of the major things that I want to accomplish is to take out a fireplace that was put in after the home was built. They placed it in a closet of one of the bedrooms. I'd like to convert this back to a bedroom. Should I start by taking out the entire wall? It is only a 10' wall of which 6' is fireplace brick. The fireplace was very poorly done in my opinion, but I have no idea what I am about to encounter by taking it out....any ideas? Approaches?

if it is stand alone fireplace [ nothing is sharing same chimney], take bricks out from top [roof / chimney] not the sides or bottom, you don't want that thing come crashing down on you.

Bottom line, check it out thoroughly before proceeding.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: Fireplace removal

As Big Walt says, when removing a fire place you always start at the top and work your way down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb