+ Reply to Thread

Default Moving 220 outlet

The new dual-fuel freestanding range I want to buy requires the electrical service to be on the lower right-hand side near the floor...it needs to be 3" from the wall, 7-1/2" from floor to top, and 8" wide...to fit into the allocated area on the rear of the stove.

Our service is smack-dab in the center of the 30" opening and about 8" from the floor.

Is moving it something we could tackle, rather than pay an electrician? I don't know if the wires will need to be pulled or not; I guess that depends on if they're coming in from the right, left or bottom. The basement is finished so I can't look at them.

I'm tempted to turn off the circuit and cut the wall open and take a look at it. What do you think? DYI or not?

Default Re: Moving 220 outlet

After making doubly sure that both hot wires are off, yes, cut the drywall out and see where they come from. It would be perfectly OK to add a flush-to-the-wall junction box to legally extend the service to the new outlet, as long as the cover is removable and it's not buried under the drywall.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

You might get lucky and be able to move the outlet from it's current location, to where it is needed WITHOUT adding wire, if there is enough slack in the wire within the wall. Open the wall and see, worst that happens is like Casey said, you add a junction box with surface mounted access and relocate the outlet where you need it. I would recommend an electrician for this seemingly simple job because that is the smart thing to do. You can do the demo and drywall repair to save yourself a few bucks.

As for doing the demo, I recommend you cut open an area roughly 2' square to expose the cavity for inspection and work. Use a straight edge, make clean cuts, carefully remove the panel and save it for reinstallation. And, as mentioned, turn off the power before doing anything.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

While it looks fairly simple on paper or when a pro is doing it, if you lack experience in wiring, let an electrician do it. 240 is no joke and the smallest mishap can turn into a disaster, at the speed of light.

By all means, save money anyway you can, but don't compromise personal safety.

Thanks for all the responses. Decided to open the wall to look at it but have an electrician do the work. At least it will let him or her with an accurate estimate. And it helps the drywall repair will be hidden!