+ Reply to Thread

Default Warped 6 panel interior doors...

Several years ago during an addition project closet doors were stained/polyed and put aside waiting to be installed. Unfortunately they were stored standing upright but apparently were not placed even and warped. This was discovered when installation was completed. Since we could not afford to buy new doors they were installed and remain. Everyday I look at these doors wondering if there is a way to fix them or is replacement the only option.

Default Re: Warped 6 panel interior doors...

These doors were probably hollow, and I don't know of a way to make them flat again.

Maybe other members know...

These doors are not too expensive, so I would replace them.

If they are hollow core doors, they are made with MDF. Once damaged, MDF cannot be easily repaired. It will probably cost less to replace the doors than to repair them.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    If they are hollow core doors, they are made with MDF. Once damaged, MDF cannot be easily repaired. It will probably cost less to replace the doors than to repair them.
    These doors are solid pine 6 panel doors, not hollow core, therefore were not that inexpensive. Thus the attempt to fix vs. replace. Any suggestions now that the door material has been clarified? Appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Based on how much the warpage is, and based on the way the jamb was made there may be some hope. If it's a pre-hung jamb you cannot move the 'stop molding' since it's part of the jamb, but you can move the jamb in the opening some to gain as much as about 3/8 inch where you need it based on the moldings used. If it's a site-built jamb move the stop molding to match the door. Another thing to try is to re-warp the door by taping a shim about 1/2" to 3/4" inch thick in the corner where the door touches the stop first, then pushing (not slamming) the door to it's latched position. After a few days, pull the shim then monitor it for a week to see if it stays put. If it doesn't try the shim again, but if after about a week of pressure against the shim the door still wants to return to where it is now, you'll need another door. By shifting the jamb and shimming against the door this way I can make maybe 95% of warped doors function well permanently but some are just too far gone.

Phil