+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Northern Indiana

Default Re: Grounding Electrode question

Quote Originally Posted by alexkharden View Post
    Thank you very much everyone

According to the graphic, it's fine to use two acorn clamps, but I do see how running a continuous line could be beneficial and possibly even lower the resistance a bit, not to mention that, since I'm running a new ground line in it's entirety, one way is just as easy to do as another.

I noticed in the picture the bonding wire between the two electrodes was buried. Any requirement on the burial depth? NEC requirement anyway, I know my local ordinance could be different.

Unfortunately, the water line is a no go. the four inches or so of pipe that used to be exposed is covered by that epoxy. I don't know how good of a ground it would be anyway. When I moved in the entire main water line was corroded through. The plumbers ran a PEX insert down through the old line to the meter, so the old iron pipe isn't even in use anymore. Just abandoned to finish corroding away.

Edit: Spelling
    Burial is not required, however an 8' ground rod should have 8' of contact with the earth. Also keeps the rods and conductors from becoming a trip hazard.

Pacific Northwet

Quote Originally Posted by brrichter View Post
    Sorry your people are misinformed. Got to keep the inspectors happy. As a matter of fact, I always install a continuous conductor, but it's not required. Saves the cost of an additional acorn.
    I can see the potential for a failure of the first acorn clamp on the first ground rod rendering both ground rods ineffective. Running a continuous conductor from the panel to the second ground rod (either separately or through the first rod without a splice) would provide some level of redundancy.

Can't say that I've seen an acorn clamp fail, but I have seen the other style -- the one with two bronze halves held with two screws -- fail.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Columbiana, Alabama

Alex, welcome to the Forum.

It appears most of your questions have be answered, some with local amendments to the Code. You should ask your inspector if any apply, in your case.

Since the second rod is only needed if the first doesn't measure <25 ohms the NEC allows a second acorn to connect to the second rod. I quit measuring and just drive the second rod and thread through the first acorn, like others have mentioned.

Since you used a 10' rod you can stop driving it if 8' in in the ground. Depth of the GEC to the rods can be just below the surface or along a wall, but if subject to physical damage must be #4 CU.

Since the CW line from the street is corroded it's no longer considered a grounding electrode. However any metallic piping in your home should either be connected to the neutral in your panel or one of the GE's with at least #6CU.
    This is probably the most important safety connection and is called "bonding".

The driven rods are most needed during a lightning storm. New homes don't drive rods but connect to the rebar in the slab (UFER) with #4 CU which must not be spliced with ordinary methods.

Lastly, Code now requires an "Inter-System Grounding" bus near your meter so Sat, cable, phone etc. can attach their ground wire. For under $20 you can attach it to your GEC and have a first class installation.

You say you're confused but seem to have a good grasp on the situation.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Agreed with Maurice. I'm a Ham radio nut and we ground towers against lightning with 3 rods, at least 8' in length, arranged in an 6' to 8' triangle, then connect with a single #4 conductor forming a loop around all rods with the 'loose end' going to the tower. The conductor can be buried slightly between rods if you wish, but not where the electrical connection is made. A little of overkill for the average home but the general method applies with multiple rod grounds- one conductor, no splices, and all tied together as well as possible.

@fencepost: I've seen one acorn clamp fail due to a flaw in the casting. As a matter of habit if I'm doing anything at the service entrance (or the panel if it's located there) I check the grounds physically and visibly. That one had a loose wire and when I tightened it one side snapped long before I had much torque on it. A close check showed a large void in the casting. I cannot fathom why it had apparently never been tightened, for if it had it would have failed on installation- not over 10 years later.