+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this my doorbell transformer?!

Hello everyone! I just bought a house from 1952. I installed a new doorbell, which I assume is the incorrect voltage for my doorbell transformer.

First question: Is this my doorbell transformer???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgjsiuv9djz36qh/IMG_1293.jpg

If it is, I would like to replace it with a new one. It is the only thing I can find which resembles one. When I ring my doorbell, the chime is barely tapped by the metal bars inside the unit... but both my front and rear bells are "working". Any advice would be great! (and no, I am not buying a wireless one)

Thanks!!

Default Re: Is this my doorbell transformer?!

Looks like one to me.

Before replacing I'd test with a voltmeter to see if the unit is working or the wire is at fault or the doorbell itself.

Get a replacement transformer that fits your unit. The installation is fairly simple if you know basic wiring.

Easy test. Disconnect the wires from the transformer and see if your doorbell behaves differently. If the doorbell doesn't work at all, that's the transformer.

If replacing the transformer (with one of the proper voltage for your doorbell) doesn't fix things, there may be a problem with the wiring or the button.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 08-12-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks so much everyone!! I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. Much appreciated.