We live in a C.1729 farm house in MA. Recently an architect who is experienced in historic homes recommended we do some research on a beam in one of the bedrooms as it appeared to be older. There are three Saltires visible, two of which straddle where a summer beam may have once sat. There is also a Saltire at the far end of the beam. As only two thirds of the beam is visible, I'm assuming a fourth Saltire is hidden. There are old nails and potential burn marks on the beam also. I've linked some pics. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, we would love to know the history or meaning behind these markings. Description of pictures below:
1) To give context of the beam in our kid's bedroom
2) A potential burn near a Saltire
3) A close up of the Saltire (X)
4) Context of the Saltires around the space for a beam. Note the notches on the inside of the X's.
5) Perspective on one on the end Saltire
6) A nail that looks to have held some material to the beam at some point
Pictures linked here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A9Grq0zwG8VXqf