+ Reply to Thread

Default Remove or Not to Remove Tub?

Hi - I'm new to the site, and I have a question regarding the impact of removing a tub from a bathroom. Our home has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (master bathroom and one main bathroom off the living room). The master bathroom has a triangular shaped jacuzzi tub and large shower; the 2nd bathroom is smaller with one sink and tub with shower. I would like to remove the tub in the 2nd bathroom and just make it a large shower with frameless glass doors. However, I do not want a negative impact to potential buyers or to the resale value of the house. Can anyone offer advice? Would the larger jacuzzi tub suffice for potential buyers with children? Ideas, anyone?

Default Re: Remove or Not to Remove Tub?

Most buyers are pretty happy with only one tub in the house.

To change from a tub to a shower, you'll need to deal with the tub surrounds or tile, whichever you have.

The trend in some of the parade homes I recently went through was to have a super nice shower in the master bath and no tub, but a tub / shower combo in the main bath used by children. Personally, I love a nice bath and will never have a master bathroom without one.

The problem here is you are removing the bath from the bathroom that children would potentially be using if you sell the house. I would not feel comfortable bathing an infant or small child in a large Jacuzzi tub because it would just be hard a long way to bend over to keep hold of a slippery splashy child. Kids old enough to bath themselves would probably love it, but it is annoying when the kids invade the master bath. (I have a daughter that loves my tub and it is annoying but it does smell pretty when she is done.) So, I do think you would put off buyers who have young children or are thinking of starting a family.

However, you live in the house now and can make it the way you want and what works for you. For example, if you have an elderly relative who lives with you or house guest who would find the tub shower difficult to navigate, then make your house function best for you. Not all home buyers have young children.

Lily, you nailed it. Very good analysis.

Thanks dj

As a potential homebuyer I would be thinking of exactly what Lily said.

If youare staying in the house for 5 or more years, do what you want and let the next owner remodel the bathroom again.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

The information is very interesting. It is new knowledge for me. I get inspired from this post.