+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Proper way to prepare porch flooring for 2nd coat of Cabot's Australian Timber Oi

Most palm sanders use 1/4 sheet of regular sandpaper, you'll see how to cut it. Some older ones use 1/6 sheet and those can be mis-cut into pieces which just barely won't reach the clips. I still do that with my ancient Ryobi occasionally. Use a mid-price-range sandpaper, with the cheap ones the grit will come off or the thin paper will tear. Use a soft kneeling pad from your garden shed to help the knees and get up and walk around frequently between spots too. Sit and take a beak if your knees or back tell you to- the job will still be there later. Sounds like you're on the right track with the rest!

Phil

Default Re: Proper way to prepare porch flooring for 2nd coat of Cabot's Australian Timber Oi

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    More about the palm sander: sometimes you can find matching sand papers that fit your sander, but if your sander in an older model, the big stores may not have matching papers.

A Google search might give you results.

I cut my sandpapers from full standard sheets (I get 3 pieces per sheet of sand paper).

You can also use a sanding block.

It's a hard and messy job, but a very rewarding one for a DIYer like you.
    Mine is a called a Makita Finishing Sander (B04510)...and yes it's old. The pad is 4" square.
    I'll have to figure out how to attach the sheets, but I'm a good researcher. Might get this porch
    done before the snow flies, LOL. (Why didn't I choose a painted porch, she says now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Most palm sanders use 1/4 sheet of regular sandpaper, you'll see how to cut it. Some older ones use 1/6 sheet and those can be mis-cut into pieces which just barely won't reach the clips. I still do that with my ancient Ryobi occasionally. Use a mid-price-range sandpaper, with the cheap ones the grit will come off or the thin paper will tear. Use a soft kneeling pad from your garden shed to help the knees and get up and walk around frequently between spots too. Sit and take a beak if your knees or back tell you to- the job will still be there later. Sounds like you're on the right track with the rest!

Phil
    It's a Makita Finishing Sander with a 4" square felt pad. It's an oldie....belonged to my ex who was a woodworker. He passed it on to me when I bought a house. I'll call him and ask what grit to buy and how to cut and insert the paper. Thanks for advising about paper quality and suggesting to use a kneeling pad...as I do have one!! Now if my back holds up...hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You don't say how large your porch is, but you could easily break up your work into several sections when it comes time to sand. You don't have to do the entire job in one day, and maybe you can higher a neighbor kid to come help you for a few hours?
    Porch floor is approximately 9' x 16' ...so the work will definitely be broken up into sections.

In an earlier post, Spruce recommends applying two coats of the oil. I have to differ with this advice. Penetrating oils are only given one coat of oil. The intent is to give the wood all the oil it can absorb, but no more. Indeed, if after about 15 minutes, oil is still seen sitting on the surface, the excess should be wiped off with rags or paper towels. This is especially true of products containing linseed oil, which Cabot's Australian Oil does. The excess will sit there and be sticky for months and months! Penetrating oils have no chemical driers in them, as do oil paints.

If an area is especially dry and immediately appears dry, a second wet coat can be put over the area while the first coat is still wet. Again, make sure all the oil is absorbed and wipe off any that remains after about 15 minutes.

Finally, when wiping oils, especially those with linseed oil, be extremely careful with disposing the rags. A linseed oil rag if wadded up WILL self ignite! I like to throw the rags out on the lawn in an open position for several hours to dry out. It is even then a good idea to cram them in a metal can, wet them down, and then put the metal lid on securely. Even if they should ignite, they will starve for air.

A 4" palm sander should only take a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper. The best way to section sandpaper is to fold it back and forth on a crease line to weaken the paper and give you a tear line. It helps if you have a sharp edge to help tear the sheet along the crease line. In this case, you will fold the paper in half lengthwise, pull a nice tight crease line, then tear along the line. Fold in half again lengthwise and tear again, this will quarter the sheet and it should tuck nicely under the catches on the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    In an earlier post, Spruce recommends applying two coats of the oil. I have to differ with this advice. Penetrating oils are only given one coat of oil. The intent is to give the wood all the oil it can absorb, but no more.
    In my defense, I did say follow the instruction on the product label.

Good call on the handling of rags.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce I too am a believer in following the manufacturer's instructions. In general, I have never seen a true oil product that has recommended a second coat of oil. Indeed, some print right on top of the can "Do Not
    Apply a Second Coat". Penefin, Cabot's, PreservaWood, Sikkens,etc. all call for only one coat.

I have a house full of teak furniture, due to my wife having sold scandinavian furniture for 30 years. Likewise, every year a light coat of teak oil is applied and allowed about 15 minutes to soak in. After that time, the excess is wiped off with clean soft rags or paper towels. Same holds true for outdoor teak patio furniture.

The hard, dense tropical decking woods call for some special attention to open the grain. Sikkens has very good instructions on how to deal with these.