+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cooling for a computer room

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Ya know ..... a company I do work in has several thousand LAN/WAN setups in as may offices.
    Each office has a cabinet approx. 2 feet wide by 4 feet deep by 5 feet high ( about 20 sq ft or 40 cubic ft. ) .....which contains a real server , UPS , phone system , router, hub and other special equipment.

The cabinets have front and rear doors that remain closed ... there is an opening on the bottom roughly 1 foot by 2 feet covered by a filter. On top of the cabinet there are three 4 inch exhaust fans drawing the heat out the cabinet. There is no dedicated A/C system employed or needed for cooling. This system works well by simple air circulation through the cabinet and haven't seen a crash because of this.
    That is an excellent setup, and one I've seen before. Glad you reminded us of it.

A cabinet as you describe will probably cost $1500-2000 for the setup. (That rack equipment is expen$$$ive!)

I like the products from RackSolutions.com -- they seem to be well built and much more reasonably priced than Dell- or APC-branded racks.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 05-22-2009 at 02:08 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The point about the cabinet was to illustrate how cooling of this equipment is inexpensive , easily and simply done without the need for A/C equipment ...... air flow and fans is all that's needed for most applications.
    Last edited by canuk; 05-22-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Depending upon the number of units, a computer cooling system using a liquid coolant might be a sensible solution. Certainty is quieter. Probably cost about $250 a machine.

I opted to replace the stock CPU cooler/fan assemblies with Ninja CPU coolers for our studio computers, which always lived in their own closets anyway. Cost about $60.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cp...scnj1000p.html

Don't forget about the clear cases with funky neon lights.

Are you chilling the amps , sound processors and mixers in the studio?

Hi there,
    In my view a portable ac unit can do well in this case, you can choose between a number of options between the companies manufacturing the unit.I'm suggesting this to you because it is sufficient for a room to maintain an appropriate temperature.

Jamie

The normal temperature in most offices will be kept inside the proper zone for the equipment, so your problem is just in getting enough air movement through the space to maintain. Any source of incoming air should be filtered to lessen problems with lint and daily dirt, air coming through a louver or under the door isn't clean. If possible, consider drawing air from an adjoining space through a filter, outflow could be done through a louver vent above the closet door.

Whether in the office or at home, are very necessary own a cooling for a computer room