+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Sinking Foundation

Our house is sinking at load bearing walls. We've been told that the problem stems from a combination of the heavy concrete roof (trusses are bowing), and possible flood in the home 9 years ago. Our door jams are off, doors won’t latch, and some slider windows are hard to close. Unusual cracks on walls, inside and out. Is this a problem we need to fix right away, or can we wait to spend the $40,000 + on just the foundation peiring later, not to mention the new roof, drywall, re-hanging the doors, windows, etc etc etc.? Thanks for your time, Linda

Default Re: Sinking Foundation

It doesn't sound like something I would wait to long to fix.
    I would start with the foundation and then figure out why the roof is sagging. It may be best to do both at the same time.
    It's more likely the foundation and roof strucure were underdesigned rather than the roof deck causing the problem.

Linda,
    Hate to hear about your problems as the fixes are going to be expensive. But in my experience, waiting will only cost you more money in the long run. Sounds to me like you need to underpin that foundation and quick. I would have it looked at by an engineer or architect first to determine the extent of your problem.
    Best, Mark

I am sorry but I agree with the others here. Doesn't sound like something you can wait to repair.
    However, only a structural engineer or a foundation repair contractor can really tell you how serious the problem is.
    I suggest you call a few of them in your area and get a couple of opinions.
    Many good companies offer free estimates, so it will not cost you more than your time to find out what you need and how much you will need to spend.

Allow me to offer you this link to a great free e-book about foundations. There is a lot of information there, in everyday language that you might find useful.

http://www.uniflip.com/catalogs2/115...pub/index.html

No, it doesn't sound like something you should wait on, however I would also consider the cost of total replacement over repair of the existing structure. If you're spending $40K on the foundation alone, then still have to address the sagging roof, broken windows, and interior damage, this could easily top $100K to $125K, and you can build a pretty decent house for that amount of money.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Wink Re: Sinking Foundation

I agree with the general consensus, Do Not Wait. I would get at least three opinions from structural engineers asap. Then I would have three general contractors give prices on the repairs. The next step is as A.Spruce stated, are the repairs worth it or is it easier to build a new home? Good Luck!!

Calcats

I would too. I actually know a school that had this type of problem and they knew the foundation was not stable.

Thumbs up Re: Sinking Foundation

I agree with all. I've been in the basement business quite a while now and you need a professional opinion on this one. Many factors need to be considered before anyone can say for sure exactly how this should be fixed. The type of soil, the weight of the house, etc., are all factors. Definitely some type of heilical or push piers will be needed to bring the house back to where it should be, and keep it there. Foundation SupportWorks is a wonderful company that I have refered many times. I don't know where you are located, but they should have a local dealer in your area. You may find their pricing quite different from other estimates you may have gotten. Good luck!
    Last edited by Charlene; 05-26-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: read the question wrong...editiedanswer