+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fandelier??

Smile Fandelier??

Hi.

My husband and I just bought our first home. It's multi-level and the dining room is on the main level. It has a chandelier in it but we're thinking that we'd save a lot of $$ by replacing it with a ceiling fan.

Through research, I've learned about "fandeleirs." The problem? They are insanely expensive and the fan part just doesn't seem like it would circulate much air.

We'd LIKE to create our own fandeleir (put in a big ceiling fan and hang a chandelier from it) but have NO CLUE if this would work--mainly because we don't know if the ceiling would hold the fan and the chandelier.

Does anybody know anything about this? We can't find any diy information but are really curious about this.

We look forward to your insight and advice.

Thanks

Dawn

Default Re: Fandelier??

1. All fans must be attached to supports in the ceiling, strong enough to carry the weight of the fan and the spinning. You can get a metal supporter which extends from joist to joist and which can be inserted without cutting the drywall. I like a wood block between the joists.

2. Converting your existing chandelier to a fandelier will depend on the availability of specific parts. Verify this at a local lighting store. You might be able to find parts that will fit the fan you want to buy. The fandeliers I've seen usually have a very small chandelier (for various reasons), your chandelier may or may not fit.

3. Fans usually sway, the faster they turn the more they sway. You must consider that as you don't want a swinging chandelier, with crystals flying all over the room.

dj1 is right. Another consideration if you try to create your own is that the limiting factor of weight will likely be the fan itself which is going to have to be rated to carry the weight of the chandelier. With most of the ceiling fans I've seen the mounting for lighting was rather flimsy and seems like it wouldn't support a proper chandelier well if at all. So research and choose your products well if you try this and make sure all the concerned manufacturers are OK with what you're trying to do- don't take a salesperson's word unless they show it to you in writing. And make the fan-rated mounting box as solid as you can- it's going to be doing a lot of work now.

Phil

Hi.

Thanks for the information. We'll definitely keep all this in mind as we figure out how to do this.