+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Plaster ceiling crossbeams should they stay or go?

I have been redoing certain rooms with drooping/broken plaster over the past few years. I am doing my first ceiling and after removing the plaster and lathe there are 1"x3"x4' pieces of wood going perpendicular to the joists(this allowed the lathe to be put in parallel to the joists) that are spaced about 8" apart. I dont know if they are for support or what as I have not seen this in any videos on the internet (there are not many that I can find on plaster ceiling removal) with this type of bare ceiling. Are these safe to remove? I would like to take them down to install insulation boards before putting up drywall. Thanks all.

Default Re: Plaster ceiling crossbeams should they stay or go?

Frankly, you don't need them for drywall, if your joists are aligned and 16" o.c.

Mark the joists on the walls, then install and screw the drywall according to the joist locations.

you don't have to use them but i never do a ceiling without strapping. it allows you to run wires without destroying the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    you don't have to use them but i never do a ceiling without strapping. it allows you to run wires without destroying the ceiling.
    Very good practice, for ceilings between a basement and first floor or first floor and second floor. However, not so important for ceilings between a floor and an attic.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Very good practice, for ceilings between a basement and first floor or first floor and second floor. However, not so important for ceilings between a floor and an attic.
    Even for the ceilings between the floor and attic, It saves drilling holes in joists fro runs across the joists.

Second, using strapping allows you to make sure you have proper spacing if the joists are not exactly 16" on center. Which is quite possible in an older house.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the advice everyone. I now know what ceiling strapping is! I have decided to take down the old strapping(because the previous lathe has left it with 450,000 nails in it), have installed my insulation board and will put up new strapping for both wire runs(I really only need 1 for a fan/light) and proper spacing. Thanks again for the advice all.