+ Reply to Thread

Default Hole in Fiberglass Shower

Hey Everyone,

So last night a shampoo bottle dropped and put a hole about the size of a dime at the bottom of my fiberglass shower about an inch or two away from the drain.

Is there anyway to fix this without having to replace the entire shower? I saw some kits and directions ******, but those seemed more for cracks, not a hole.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-dave
    Last edited by Maya Blue; 07-31-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: Hole in Fiberglass Shower

Look in the phone book for bathtub refinishers, they will have the tools, materials, and skill to repair the hole and reglaze the entire shower to look just like new, or at least nearly new. IMHO, this is not a DIY'r project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK, thank you. I'll look into that. I definitely wasn't looking for it to be a DIY project. I get scared of water and leaks.

After getting a few opinions and estimates for fixing the hole, go ahead and figure out how much it would cost you to REPLACE the tub.

Sometimes replacing pencils out better.

Thanks for the advice, although I have a guy coming over this week to repair the hole. It will be ~$125. Thankfully it didn't go all the way through. I haven't done any checking, but I would assume a new unit is much more than $125.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
    Thanks for the advice, although I have a guy coming over this week to repair the hole. It will be ~$125. Thankfully it didn't go all the way through. I haven't done any checking, but I would assume a new unit is much more than $125.
    Yes, new would be more than that, especially when you quadruple the price to include installation and a new surround
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't believe in fixing holes in fiberglass, I just don't trust a fix. It's also something you can't hide.

One of the downsides to fiberglass, however, is that it is fairly easy to damage. Fiberglass repair kit from about any local auto parts store. Mesh fabric and resin. Just like repairing Corvette bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I don't believe in fixing holes in fiberglass, I just don't trust a fix. It's also something you can't hide.
    They guy came out yesterday and fixed it. Looks brand new. You can't even see it. $125 well spent.

If you're happy, we're happy, and thanks for the feedback.