+ Reply to Thread

Default Water in basement

My in-law has an 85 year brick house (not brick veneer) with a walk out basement (west side). Water enters the basement through the south wall and the floor. Initial thought was to put a french drain near the bottom of the foundation and dampproof/waterproof the exterior foundation wall(s). The problem is the south wall (51 feet long total) has a bay window (also brick). There is a straight line foundation that goes the full 51 feet that extends about 7 feet below grade. The mid portion of the south wall has a co-joining foundation for the bay window area (15 feet) that only goes about 4 feet below grade. So the main foundation can't be coated without undermining the bay window area foundation nor can a drain be installed next to the deep foundation/footer. Aside from piping downspout drainage away from these foundation walls and properly sloping the grade, what are the best practices for correcting the water problem? I would like to know what the best options are before I talk to a contractor.

Thanks

Default Re: Water in basement

how about putting a french drain around the inside perimeter of the basement.

Default Re: Water in basement

If you pipe away the gutter water, then run a French drain around the bay window as well as the long wall, this will handle most of the ground water and it MAY be enough to stop the problem. Best would be to dig down and set the bay foundation to the same level as the house then waterproof everything from the outside, but that will be quite involved in supporting the bay as you work.

Phil