+ Reply to Thread

Question Is a Wet Bar a Good Idea for my Kitchen?

I have recently moved into a new apartment, and the kitchen area is very big (I live alone, but sometimes I call friends over).
    Instead of adding a larger table, or suffocating the room with too many cabinets, I thought that it would be a good idea to add a wet bar, or a space for socializing.

I have found this list of Wet Bar Designs, and I really like number 19. It also seems less expensive than other types of wet bars. My only question is will I have problems if I use wood for it, and how should I treat it to prevent it from being damaged (seeing as it will be a DIY solution).

Thank you for your help!

Default Re: Is a Wet Bar a Good Idea for my Kitchen?

If you like it and have room for it then go for it!

Apply a couple of coats of polyurethane to the wood and that will give it protection against now and then spills and try to wipe up spills quickly. I used a marine grade poly for my bathroom cabinets and they have held up very well. There are some instructions on the Internet for wood countertops and you might want to look at those.

If you want even more protection you can have a piece of tempered glass cut to fit the top, cover the top with a row of glass cutting boards, or have a traditional countertop material (laminate, granite, quartz, butcher block) cut to fit the top.

I would recommend shopping for a hutch or some cabinetry that would suit your needs. While that table looks like a simple build, and it is for an experienced woodworker, there is more to building something than whacking a few nails into a piece of wood. Your time and money would be better spent to find a piece of furniture that will fit the space.

If you really want to try to build something yourself, then do some research and find some plans to help you figure out how to do it. As for finish, stain with a few coats of polyurethane will do the trick. I recommend MinWax stains and McKloskies polyurethane. Stay away from Minwax polyurethanes, they are horrible to work with and leave a terrible finish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Keep in mind, that for a "wet bar" you'll need to run new plumbing.

What does it mean? it means that when you rent an apartment, I doubt that you can do that, without a very positive landlord's approval (better in writing). Otherwise, when you move out, the landlord will give you a huge bill to bring the kitchen back to the original condition.