+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trench drain

Default trench drain

Hello everyone!

I am planning on installing a trench drain in my driveway. As luck would have it, our front yard is sloped towards the house, including the driveway. When it rains, I get water into the garage. We purchased this house a little less than a year ago, assuming that the house needs a lot of work. The previous owner hasn't done much of anything since the early 80's. So, I'm playing catch up with both the inside and outside of the house.

To help prevent the water from entering into the garage, I want to install a trench drain at the edge of the apron. The apron is fairly large. It's about 6 feet from the garage door to the edge of the apron. From there it's all stone(and dirt). So, when I install the trench drain, one edge will be butted up against the apron, the other in stone. My question, is it OK if the drain sits on a channel of stone and on the one side or does it have to be cemented in? Would it be best to notch out 6-8" from the edge of the apron and fill it with cement to mount the trench drain? I plan on pouring asphalt at some point. Hopefully within 5 years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: trench drain

Right after hurricane Floyd I had a call from a friend in NJ about water coming into his garage. He has a set up similar to you, where the garage is lower than the driveway.

I flew to NJ and this is what I did:

1. I cut the asphalt in front of the garage door 12" wide and dug out 12" deep.

2. I formed and poured concrete to create a U shape channel, where I put a drain line with the proper slope. I then dug a trench all the way to the street - some 60 ft away - installed a 4" PVC drain line, and connected the two.

3. Steel grates on top of the U shape channel allow water from the driveway into the drain and out to the street below on the other side.

4. The garage is dry now.

dj1 -

Thanks for your reply. I found that there are different material for the drain channel. What type/brand did you install?

The channel itself was something I created using concrete. The grates were something I found at a local supply place, but I don't remember the name brand.

BTW, I bought the grates ahead of time, then customized and formed for the concrete accordingly.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information!