+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood vs white vinyl kitchen cabinets

My husband and I recently gutted our camp and are trying to decide which option for kitchen cabinets would hold up best to heavy use and the temperature change from summer to winter in Maine, especially if the house is not heated in the winter (can go below 0 for weeks at a time.) Also, what about the Martha Stewart line of vinyl cabinets? Would they be comparable to Thomasville?

Default Re: Wood vs white vinyl kitchen cabinets

I don't have experience with vinyl cabinets, but I know that cabinet makers have been using wood since the beginning of kitchens. Why do you want to experiment with vinyl now?

I got nothing against Martha Stewart, but I wouldn't buy cabinets made out of vinyl. I bet you they warp.

I agree with DJ. I also have no experience with vinyl cabinets. The resort in Minnesota we vacation at has wood cabinets in all the cabins and they hold up just fine despite the very cold Minnesota winters often well below zero. The cabins are winterized for the winter and unheated.

See: http://www.brookside-resort.com/cabins.html

I had MS kitchen installed last year to my customer home and so far they are very happy with it. They chose a white thermofoil surface cabinet and I think its best interior for kichen.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-12-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: removed link

I had MS kitchen installed last year to my customer home and so far they are very happy with it. They chose a white thermofoil surface cabinet and I think its best for kitchen.

I am not sure how Thermofoil cabinets hold up in extreme cold, however, they don't fare well in proximity to heat. I have seen them delaminate around ovens and stoves. They are also notorious for discoloration, turning yellow with age and exposure to sunlihght.

Wood gives you multiple finishing choices and can be re-done many times over of you tire of the style or color. Repairs are relatively easy if needed. Vinyl and Thermofoil don't have these qualities. Your money, your choice, but you can't go wrong with wood!

Phil