+ Reply to Thread

Default House wrap installation question- existing window casings

Hi. I can't find any information on this on the web. Everything on tyvek etc is for new construction. I already know how to install it and wrap it into rough openings etc. My question is- what is the proper way to install house wrap on an old house where I'm not removing any of the corner boards or window casings? or windows for that matter.
    All of that sort of perimeter trim is in pretty good shape so I want to leave it. It's just the siding on two sides of the house that needs to be replaced. So if I'm going to tear it all off and install new wood clapboards then of course I want to wrap it.
    What do I do? Cut it flush to the window casing and then flat tape it with the tyvek tape?

Default Re: House wrap installation question- existing window casings

" What do I do? Cut it flush to the window casing and then flat tape it with the tyvek tape?"

The problem is: you don't know what's under the casings, trims and corner boards, and since you're going to such a lengthy process of remodeling, leaving those areas without new tyvek is a gamble.

If removing them is just a complicated matter, you can do what you were thinking on doing, but try to make them as water tight as you can. This of course assuming that they are all in good condition.