+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Water overshooting gutter - metal roof [again]

Sorry, my other post keeps saying it is invalid and also when I try to contact the administrator of the forum. :-(

We have had 5" gutters installed and are having problems with water entry into the back of the house. You can see photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125591537@N04/ and our roof measurements.

It looks like to me we may need an 8" gutter in places, but the primary problem now is that in even a moderate rain the water overshoots the gutter completely.

Any ideas? We have talked to many gutter people and none have a system to determine what size we need, what shape or how to install them.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

Default Re: Water overshooting gutter - metal roof [again]

From what I can see, it looks like the problem is that the roof sheeting and roofing extends way past the fascia board. The roofing is well past the center point on the gutters. Rather than a bigger gutter size I would suggest you space it out more.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-23-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Something as simple as a sheet metal dam mounted on the front side of the gutters but from the inside of the gutters, can help directing the water into the gutters.

The gutters are mounted too low and to far under the roof. Do not put dams on the front, they will cause water to be directed over the backside and that will lead to rot on the fascia.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    The gutters are mounted too low and to far under the roof. Do not put dams on the front, they will cause water to be directed over the backside and that will lead to rot on the fascia.
    If the installation is correct (CLEAN gutters under drip edge and sloped to allow the water to flow quickly) it's safe to assume that there will be no water splashing on the fascia boards.

Since it would be impossible to change the roof line, what other choices does he have? Install the gutters away from the fascia? - the gutters won't stay up there too long and fall. Install wider gutters? - might be too expensive.
    Last edited by dj1; 07-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If the installation is correct (CLEAN gutters under drip edge and sloped to allow the water to flow quickly) it's safe to assume that there will be no water splashing on the fascia boards.

Since it would be impossible to change the roof line, what other choices does he have? Install the gutters away from the fascia? - the gutters won't stay up there too long and fall. Install wider gutters? - might be too expensive.
    Water will splash back, period. The answer would be to install another fascia board over the current one and mount the gutters up closer to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Water will splash back, period. The answer would be to install another fascia board over the current one and mount the gutters up closer to the roof.
    DITTO to Keith3267

Jack

A damn on the front of the gutters would likely be torn off with the gutters by ice and snow.
    The gutters from what I've seen are not placed properly and the roof overhangs them too much.

I hear you, I hear you loud and clear EAST COASTers, our gutters (in the Southwest coast) are for peepee, not for 6" an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I hear you, I hear you loud and clear EAST COASTers, our gutters (in the Southwest coast) are for peepee, not for 6" an hour.
    From what i see on the news you guys don't get any rain at all.

Jack