+ Reply to Thread

Default Best method for leveling hardwood floor on second floor

What is the best method of leveling out an uneven wood floor on second story? Our home is a 130 year old twin (attached on one side) in Philadelphia. Our neighbor's (82 yr old) father (whose career was wallpaper hanging, not carpentry) built the back half of both our houses about 1915. It is unlevel in both our homes. We've had a structural engineer inspect and we got the OK that it's not falling down. There is a sistered joist in the basement underneath where all this sagging is, whether that's the culprit or it's just shoddy workmanship who knows. The first floor is not sagging or uneven in either home. On the second floor, the area that's sagging consists of a tiny bedroom, a full bath, and a portion of the hallway. At one point they took space from the bedroom and added it to the bathroom, while they had those walls down, I'm annoyed they didn't level the entire floor. From highest to lowest point it's probably off by 2 inches.

Do we need to take walls down to level the floor in one project, or can we level each room independently? I'm guessing we will need to shim it and put down a new subfloor and hardwoods.

Why do we want to level this uneven floor in the first place you might ask? Well the previous owners had a hell of a time selling the place, and part of it was due to young couples wary of old homes and the potential for the whole thing to fall down, despite the engineer report. We live in an area of the city where new homes sell like hot cakes and old homes sit on the market for over a year. We will hopefully be selling within five years. About 40% of our neighborhood is between 22-34 and grew up in subdivisions and we want our home to appeal to the market.
    Secondly, the floor in the bedroom is so uneven that both my parents have fallen out of the bed because it tilts so much. We would like to avoid injuries.

Default Re: Best method for leveling hardwood floor on second floor

Get 2nd and 3rd opinions, because to me, parents falling off a bed at night is a pretty serious issue. Also, get the home inspected for termites - you could have trouble with weak framing members.

Contact general contractors and framing contractors for evaluation and methods of leveling the 2nd floor. If you don't solve this issue, you'll have a hard time selling this home, under today's market conditions, now or in five years. And by the way, fix it for YOUSELF, not just for the purpose of selling it in the future.

We can't tell you what must be done without seeing the home or looking at professional reports.

Default Re: Best method for leveling hardwood floor on second floor

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Get 2nd and 3rd opinions, because to me, parents falling off a bed at night is a pretty serious issue. Also, get the home inspected for termites - you could have trouble with weak framing members.

Contact general contractors and framing contractors for evaluation and methods of leveling the 2nd floor. If you don't solve this issue, you'll have a hard time selling this home, under today's market conditions, now or in five years. And by the way, fix it for YOUSELF, not just for the purpose of selling it in the future.

We can't tell you what must be done without seeing the home or looking at professional reports.
    Hi DJ, Thanks for the reply. We have had it inspected by an engineer and a home inspector, no termites or structural problems.