+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I need advice for exterior remodeling and upgrades on 25 yr old housebought last

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Pearberry,"

On more than one occasion I saw you mentioned the following:

" but how will these guys know where the studs are under the black sheathing without chaulk lines? They can't nail it to the sheathing." Too many decisions to make..."

What is that "black sheathing" you're talking about?

Go to your building department and ask them: What are the approved sheathing materials in this town?

Watch them say: OSB and Plywood.

The sidings have to be nailed onto wrapped plywood or OSB - the installer won't have to worry about chalk lines, while some installers will run chalk lines, just to make a neater installation job. If you only want to nail sidings onto studs, you won't be able to.
    "The black sheathing is a 1/2 inch thick fiberboard from the 1980's, manufactured by Celotex or Georgia Pacific. I found images of it on-line. The corners of the exterior maybe plywood with fiberboard in the middle. I won't know until I remove the Al siding."

Default Re: I need advice for exterior remodeling and upgrades on 25 yr old housebought last

Well, I'd remove this 35 year old fiberboard. It will probably turn into dust in the process, so be prepared for that.

With walls open you'll be able to inspect what you have, check the framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation and do all necessary repairs or upgrades. Then install new plywood sheathing, wrap and side.

"Celotex" was once used as described, with a small amount of plywood at the corners doing all the structural work. It is weak, it warps, it dries out and crumbles and it burns like nothing else. Spend the money to get OSB or plywood to replace this junk then wrap with Tyvek before siding. If you vinyl over the Celotex don't be surprised to see your new siding bulge out where the Celotex warped underneath it later on and don't expect that to be warrantied with the siding job either. While the walls are open, this will be the best time to firecaulk pipe and wire penetrations through the plates which will help with your HVAC costs and you can inspect everything else then too making repairs as needed. While it may still meet code to use Celotex like this in some places, it is only a cheaper way- definitely not a better one.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Well, I'd remove this 35 year old fiberboard. It will probably turn into dust in the process, so be prepared for that.

With walls open you'll be able to inspect what you have, check the framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation and do all necessary repairs or upgrades. Then install new plywood sheathing, wrap and side.
    "Thanks for the advice. The 25 yr old fiberboard needs to go. It looks like I will need about 60 sheets of 4 x 8 at about $21 each. This was not part of the plan."

Quote Originally Posted by Pearberry View Post
    "Thanks for the advice. The 25 yr old fiberboard needs to go. It looks like I will need about 60 sheets of 4 x 8 at about $21 each. This was not part of the plan."
    I know, but nobody said that remodeling was inexpensive. On the other side, doing it wrong is usually even more expensive.

If plywood is thru the roof, use OSB - about $10 a sheet.

Hi, What are you tring to do? Make the house look nice or keep worm and lower your heat bill? Replacing the siding and windows will make the house look nicer but will not keep you as worm and lower your heat bill as much as insulating the attic and floors. The cold would not be comming in if the heat was not escaping through the roof. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MtMan54 View Post
    Hi, What are you tring to do? Make the house look nice or keep worm and lower your heat bill? Replacing the siding and windows will make the house look nicer but will not keep you as worm and lower your heat bill as much as insulating the attic and floors. The cold would not be comming in if the heat was not escaping through the roof. Thanks
    "Yep, I'm planning on making it look nice by replacing the siding, windows, and wrapping of of the paintable trim; I want to maintain my property value. These 25 yr old Wood windows have spring cables that add pressure to the metal latches; when the window is unlatched the bottom slides up and upper one sides down, they don't seal well. On top of that, a couple openings were initially cut an inch too big, so the construction guys covered it up with the window frame. The RTV sealer around the window has never been replaced, the originial sealer has dehydrated and cracked...allowing the cold air in.
    There are 2 types of insulation in the attic, blown in loose pink and thick batts of another kind. The bigger problem I have with insulation is the "knee wall" or 1/2 construction along the lower half of the 2 story walls. These walls have minimal insulation and exposed to the outside air via vented porch roof and garage attic. From what I've watched on Youtube, these 1/2 walls should have been insulated the same as the attic floor above the bedrooms. Thanks for your concern

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    "Celotex" was once used as described, with a small amount of plywood at the corners doing all the structural work. It is weak, it warps, it dries out and crumbles and it burns like nothing else. Spend the money to get OSB or plywood to replace this junk then wrap with Tyvek before siding. If you vinyl over the Celotex don't be surprised to see your new siding bulge out where the Celotex warped underneath it later on and don't expect that to be warrantied with the siding job either. While the walls are open, this will be the best time to firecaulk pipe and wire penetrations through the plates which will help with your HVAC costs and you can inspect everything else then too making repairs as needed. While it may still meet code to use Celotex like this in some places, it is only a cheaper way- definitely not a better one.

Phil
    "yes, I've seen this in the attic, water stains and dry brittle edges. Most of the houses in this developement have plywood under the Aluminum siding. Im betting I'll need 50 to 60 sheets of Plywood. I'm hoping I can correct an insulation problem along 2 walls; they're 1/2 walls along 3 bedrooms. The garage roof forms a triangular section on two bedrooms walls, they're barely insulated, the wind blows through the vents and through the insulation into the outlets, and makes the drywall cold...the upper half of the wall is warmer because it has fiberboard over the insulation. Similar problem with the front side of the house, behind the porch roof that run into the garage attic...just much shorter.
    Thanks for your help.