+ Reply to Thread

Default Upstairs bath water backs up through basement toilet

This problem is somewhat intermittent, happening most of the time but not always. I'll take a nice soak then drain the bath water, only to hear it gurgling up through a basement toilet and onto the floor. My house has one story and a full basement. The tub drains straight into the main drain line. The toilet is right below the tub and connects somewhere downstream of that. I've already had the drain line rootered from the cleanout to the alley, about 75'. There weren't any major blockages, just some small tree roots. I had the drain line inspected a few years ago and there weren't any issues with dislodged sections, etc. What next? Could this be due to a clogged vent pipe?

Default Re: Upstairs bath water backs up through basement toilet

a vent issue seems unlikely, if that was the case when you drained the tub it would suck the water out of the toilet, not push water into it.

it sounds like the tree roots have been doing some growing since you last had it snaked. i think it's time to send a camera down there to see what's going on since you last had it cleaned out.

I had the drain rootered two weeks ago because of this problem, but the problem still exists. I do agree that it's time to send down a camera.

If there are roots in the line then the line is broken somewhere, and it needs to be repaired or replaced.
    John

You will know a lot more after a camera check.