+ Reply to Thread

Default Attic lighting question about adding 1 or 2 more fixtures inline with the existing 1

So I recently(this past week) installed an attic ladder and in the attic there is only 1 light fixture out of reach from the area where I installed the ladder that is a pull string type.

We plan on using the new access to lay down some flooring to store some totes up there.. So my question is, can I wire up 1 or 2 more light fixtures in line with the existing one(it would be the source for all 2 or 3 lights) and control all of them with 1 pull string?

I don't need to stick with the pull string, figured I would see if its possible to just add more to the line and control with 1 pull string, if I need to, I could always get rid of the pull string types and just run the 2 or 3 lights with a switch..

Default Re: Attic lighting question about adding 1 or 2 more fixtures inline with the existin

Quote Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
    We plan on using the new access to lay down some flooring to store some totes up there.
    Side note: don't overload the attic floor. If your home is built with standard trusses from a manufacturer, chances are they are not rated for any kind of loading. If the bottom chord of the truss is supported by other walls, you may be able to load it more, but only a structural engineer could tell you by how much.

So my question is, can I wire up 1 or 2 more light fixtures in line with the existing one(it would be the source for all 2 or 3 lights) and control all of them with 1 pull string?
    No. Pull-string fixtures have the switch integrated into the socket; you cannot connect additional fixtures to that pull string switch.

I don't need to stick with the pull string, figured I would see if its possible to just add more to the line and control with 1 pull string, if I need to, I could always get rid of the pull string types and just run the 2 or 3 lights with a switch..
    A switch will be your best bet. I would recommend installing a switch with a pilot indicator in the wall below the pull-down stairs. That way, you'll notice whether or not you left the light on without having to pull down the stairs.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Attic lighting question about adding 1 or 2 more fixtures inline with the existin

Well on the flooring, its more like some sheets of plywood around the ladder to put some totes(Christmas stuff and clothing)

Ill have to look into the lighted switch, didn't know the made that for the home, seen for automotive, but that's good to know.. and for sure ill switch over to a switch outside the attic to make it a lot easier for anyone to turn on and not have to climb up and blindly reach for a string or switch..

thanks for the suggestions.