+ Reply to Thread

Default Okay to remove screens?

Due to allergies, we never have our windows open. Once or twice a year we will open the patio and front doors, which have retractable screens, to "air" the house. Since we don't open the windows, can we take the screens out to make viewing through the windows better?

Default Re: Okay to remove screens?

It's your house, do as you please. Screens are meant to keep critters out when the windows are open, if you never open the windows, then you don't need the screens.

If you do open some of the windows occasionally, then leave these screens in place and only remove them from the windows that are never opened.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As mentioned there is no problem. I like the view better too and always take them out after the first hard frost and leave them out all winter.

When we lived in the hinterlands of the north, we took the screens down every fall, after the last mosquito, and put them back up with the first flies of spring.

Just save the screens in a safe, clean place.

If you ever sell the house, at least in my city, all windows must have screens at close of escrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Just save the screens in a safe, clean place.

If you ever sell the house, at least in my city, all windows must have screens at close of escrow.
    'Tis true here too, and by law here any residence's operable windows are supposed to be screened to meet requirements for occupancy. That's only checked on permits, sales, and move-ins so I wouldn't worry about it. Your windows, your screens, you do what you want to with them!

Phil

Smile Re: Okay to remove screens?

I want to say a big THANK YOU to all who replied. We are going to take them down & store them flat & wrapped up in our attic.