+ Reply to Thread

Default First summer tomatoes

Our cherry tomatoes were the first tomato kind to ripen first last week.

If market cherry tomatoes are 10 in taste and looks, these home grown ones are 12.

In a week or so, we will have enough to give away...

Other ready veggies: green/red peppers, beans. squash. But the tomatoes rule.

Default Re: First summer tomatoes

For a number of reasons I didn't get tomatoes and other vegetables in unto late this year. Then the weather's been cool and rainy this season which the peppers don't like. Not to rub it in to you California folks who would certainly like some weather like that.
    I got some cages around the tomatoes to keep the deer off, but a tomato horn worm nearly denuded one plant that has a decent size fruit on it. Anybody know where those things hide when they're not on the plant. It took me a while to actually catch it on the plant.
    I agree that homegrown tomatoes are the best.

Our garden is starting to come in now too.

Three tomatoes so far, a couple squash, and a couple Japanese eggplant. I think I finally have the girlfriend convinced that she's been over watering for the past few years, which has been the downfall of the garden. I even bought her a moisture meter this year so she can see for herself, she doesn't have to take my word for it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce, I know those Japanese eggplants - they're great.

Ed, Since I removed my front lawn and replaced it with gravel and cacti, I can water the vegetable garden without worrying about exceeding my water allotment.
    We now have new laws against wasting water: caught washing a car on the driveway with a hose that has no pistol stop? $500 a day until fixed. Caught watering on the wrong day - $500 fine. Watering and letting water run in the street - $500 fine.
    The city is hiring "water patrol" to write tickets. A single agent can bring in $10,000 a day in fines, easy.