+ Reply to Thread

Cool gable vents vs ridge vents

After applying ridge vent to a home, some attics are over vented. Most people say cover or block the gable vent, but if the ceiling below are vaulted, the air is too slow to reach the attic, if it does. To solve this problem, we have been using decorative gable vent covers. The covers are only 1" thick to snap over the old vent (in many different styles). If the attic cools good after the ridge vent, we use a vented cover to cut down on moisture in the attic. If the vent needs cut off, we use a non vented cover to block everything. No more trying to match aged siding or paint.

Default Re: gable vents vs ridge vents

Are you including the needed eave vents in this equation?

Having vents on top of the roof (gable vents, ridge vents, circulating vents, dome vents - you name it) are only half of what you need for a perfectly vented attic - the other half is a lower vent system (eave vents, between rafters vents).

The only "over vented attic" is an attic with no roof.

I am not sure there is such a thing as an "over ventilated" attic! Obviously, you don't want a wind storm passing through the attic, blowing the insulation around, but short of that, you want lots of moving air removing excess heat and humidity. Well ventilated and insulated attics result in no mildew, lower heat and air-conditioning bills and longer lastiing shingles on the roof.

The only over-vented attics I've seen are the ones needing repair after storm winds took out a gable or dormer. Sorry I couldn't be bothered to read the OP past that line as someone who is convinced that I'm wrong on this won't be convinced by the logic of anything I could add here

Phil