+ Reply to Thread

Default Pooling Near Walk Out

I have a house in CT on elevated property, but the builders decided to carve a walkout out of the side for the basement. As the house and property has settled over time, the walkout is now the lowest point on the property within 300 feet with massive slopes around this carved out area. It's not the lowest by much, but it's where water likes to go.

With normal rainfall, the area drains fine as its filled with stone, but torrential storms (like the ones we have been experiencing daily for a few weeks) create massive pooling in an area that is 8.5 X 14 right outside the door, upwards of 4 inches deep, threatening to break the crest of the door frame and into my finished basement. When the rain stops, it takes about an hour for the pool to drain away, but I'm afraid I'm flirting with disaster.

I've done the math and it seems like I need to try and displace upwards of 300 gallons somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure the best way to do this? Dry wells? My research shows the do it yourself dry wells really only hold 50 gallons each. Do i need to dig a pit to string 6 of these together? Do I need to actually create 300 gallons of dead space for this water to go?

What other options are out there?

Default Re: Pooling Near Walk Out

I think I'd go with a sump pump, get the water out of the hole completely and let it dissipate somewhere else
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

" When the rain stops, it takes about an hour for the pool to drain away, but I'm afraid I'm flirting with disaster. "

If the excess water disappear in about an hour, why worry?

The sump pump idea is good.

In addition: What if you install a drain at the lowest point, to remove and carry away that water even faster?

Best would be to drain the area via gravity, even if the piping is 300 feet long because gravity doesn't ever stop working but sump pumps do. You also need to be aware of any local codes regarding dumping of drainage water near someone else's property or any riparian features- in many cases there is a minimum set-back distance or square footage lawn requirement to be met before the water leaves your property. Dry wells seem like a good solution until you look far enough ahead and ask yourself what happens when they fill and cannot drain because of the over-saturated ground all around them? Dry wells are best seen as a partial mitigation technique for normal situations, not as something to be relied on in worst-case scenarios. You do need to address this, because with the pool being this close to your foundation something bad is going to happen there if you don't!

Phil