Poll: Is it asbestos

+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I know if it's asbestos tile?

Hello,

I'm going to replace the carpet in our late 40's / early 50's era vacation home. Underneath the current carpet is a layer of 8x8 smooth brown tiles, with small flecks of red and grey in them. Are there any general rules of thumb to determine if they contain asbestos? I have no idea who manufactured them, or if they are indeed original, but I assume they are.

Thanks
    GG

Default Re: How do I know if it's asbestos tile?

A house of that vintage, it is likely that the tile and/or the glue has asbestos in it, the only way to know for certain is to have it tested. Even then, what are your plans, tear it out yourself anyway, hire an abatement company (at great expense ), or just cover it back up with new flooring?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If this is over a concrete slab (SOG) the easy way to remove them is to flood the floor with water which will make the tiles come out in whole pieces. Now worries about asbestos as long as you aren't grinding the tiles into airborne dust

8x8 tiles from the 50's. I can pretty much guarantee they have asbestos in them. The mastic too.
    Any 8x8 has a good chance to have asbestos in it.

Likely (almost certain) there's some asbestos happening there, but it needn't be a problem as it's hardly any danger unless inhaled as a dust. It can be safely covered so long as it's not deteriorated. It can be removed with relatively safety if you address the dust issue correctly although that may not be legal where you are.

One thing most folks overlook when thinking 'asbestos' or 'lead paint' is that once you test and it shows positive, you are legally compelled to give that information to any future buyer, which unless it was all removed completely by an approved and licensed contractor is going to lower your homes value. If it isn't tested then you can honestly say that you don't know which will not go against a selling price compared to other similar homes. Sometimes ignorance is bliss

Phil

In most cases there is no need to remove tiles like these, just lay your new floor on top of them.