+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete baseboards (and floor?)

Currently demoing a bathroom in my house that is thought to have been built about 1910-1920 outside of St. Paul MN. While tearing up the bathroom I discovered that the baseboards are actually poured concrete (this is on the main floor, directly over the original cellar.) They are about 2" thick and definitely not just the plaster that has built up over the years.

Additionally, the entire room has a floor that is 6-7" of concrete. It's not level in the least and was poured around the plumbing service and then covered with 4-5 layers of tile/linoleum/vinyl/etc. Obviously the house has been updated/remodeled several times over the last 100 years but this is a "feature" that I'm very curious about. Was there ever a time that concrete baseboards and a concrete floor would have made sense? Was this house perhaps a workshop (and this design was to accommodate a specific function?)

Default Re: Concrete baseboards (and floor?)

You know, to get a more accurate answer to your questions, you should ask local old time general contractors, masons and framers - they will be more familiar with the building methods and styles in your city some 100 years ago.

I am thinking this is an older 'mud' tile installation where sane and cement were mixed (drypack) and floated to make perfectly straight and plumb walls and level floors. Of course that's the plan, and some people suck at it making things worse instead of better.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I am thinking this is an older 'mud' tile installation where sane and cement were mixed (drypack) and floated to make perfectly straight and plumb walls and level floors. Of course that's the plan, and some people suck at it making things worse instead of better.
    The walls are lathing + chicken-wire + plaster (what I would expect and have found throughout the rest of the house.) It's only the baseboards that are concrete. The floor is the reall odd duck -- I started trying to demo it out with a sludge hammer and got nowhere. I might as well have been out front beating on the street. Couldn't even chip it.

Borrowed a Hilti demolition hammer (talk about a nice tool) and it can be broken up with enough yelling and the right angle on the tool. I don't think I'll remove all of it but I do need to flatten it out before I can self-level it.

I have a Hilti T56, they are waaaaayyyyy cool

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I have a Hilti T56, they are waaaaayyyyy cool
    Can I borrow it?