+ Reply to Thread

Default Old tandem parallel outlet what to replace with

A little background info follows first for my question: Have a 80 year old house, had electric updated in 1980, circuit breakers, more power brought into house, outdoor outlets and power outlets in laundry, kitchen area. We have an antique combo tandem/parallel
    obsolete outlet,which is single plug. I now notice the other outlets in the living room are T-slot outlets (update of the tandem parallel outlet) these can still be purchased for replacement only thru Leviton, model#5000-1. They are not grounded, don't know if box is grounded....so I assume these obsolete tandem parallel outlets were at some point updated to the T- slot outlets. There are additional T- slot and 2 and 3 prong regular outlets in the rest of the house. I am assuming those T-slot outlets were updated from the obsolete tandem/parallel outlets, my ****** research said the T-slot outlet is the more modern update of the tandem/parallel outlet. I spent a lot of time ****** identifying these obsolete plugs and along the way picked up this info.

I have lived here for 35 years and have used the outlets with no problem.

Here is my question:

I want to install a 12,000btu window a/c using the obsolete parallel tandem outlet ( only outlet near widow where a/c will be). Since I have researched and discovered it is obsolete should I replace it with a T-slot outlet or gfci outlet, or a 2 or 3 prong regular plug? I am assuming since the outlet is obsolete it should be changed, And with the electrical load of the a/c I want to be safe.

Would it be better to have a direct line to the circuit breaker box installed? It's own dedicated circuit, line?

How expensive would it be to have this done?

Thank you for any help.
    Last edited by Marilyncz; 07-08-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Default Re: Old tandem parallel outlet what to replace with

With that size A/C I would want at minimum a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I would not assume anything about an old circuit of undetermined condition.

I would do the same thing, run a dedicated breaker for the air conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    With that size A/C I would want at minimum a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I would not assume anything about an old circuit of undetermined condition.
    If I don't install a/c unit, don't know if I can afford the price, should I replace the outlet? If so, with what type outlet? Should I replace with a standard 2 prong outlet, a T-slot outlet or a gfci? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyncz View Post
    If I don't install a/c unit, don't know if I can afford the price, should I replace the outlet? If so, with what type outlet? Should I replace with a standard 2 prong outlet, a T-slot outlet or a gfci? Thanks
    For the greatest safety, i would replace with a GFCI receptacle. Place the "ungrounded" label on it if it is not grounded.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb