+ Reply to Thread

Default Want a natural color stain on already blue stain(yuk)

How do I remove (or cover) colonial blue stain(semi-transparent, I think) to change to a natural wood color on cedar clapboard? Can't afford all new siding. Was re-stained same color about 10-12 yrs ago. Not peeling, but has faded on the sunny south side. House is about 30yrs old, clapboards in good shape.

Default Re: Want a natural color stain on already blue stain(yuk)

Try to wash away as much of the old stain as you can - power wash, bleach solution, use stripper, sanding, etc.
    Then, stain with the new stain (go with solid), 2 coats. Apply poly after the stain is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Try to wash away as much of the old stain as you can - power wash, bleach solution, use stripper, sanding, etc.
    Then, stain with the new stain (go with solid), 2 coats. Apply poly after the stain is dry.
    Thanks! I don't know if there's a contractor out there that wants to tackle that. Will probably price that vs new siding I guess. Thanks for your feedback.

What about removing the boards, and flipping them over to the un-stained side ?

Quote Originally Posted by needanewcolor View Post
    Thanks! I don't know if there's a contractor out there that wants to tackle that. Will probably price that vs new siding I guess. Thanks for your feedback.
    No kidding. Do you know why? because they can't recover their labor costs on the prep work.

If you say that the boards are in good shape, and if you don't like the estimates for replacement, then a paint job at a reasonable price, that would last 10-12 years again, may sound like a good compromise.