+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation How to remove epoxy'd dishwasher connector???

When they installed our granite counter-top, they connected the dishwasher via a metal plate and epoxy glue. There is a flat metal plate then a bolt then the dishwasher piece with the holes in it and then the screw that goes through the hole into the bolt. Now the dishwasher is broken and we need to remove that connection so there is enough space for the top of the new dishwasher to slip in. The epoxy does not dissolve with acetone. We've used a Dremel grinding wheel (for metal) but it has only made the situation worse. The screw is unmovable. We highly advise against this method of connecting a dishwasher to a granite counter-top! ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

(I have a pix of the connection before the drilling showing it looking from the dishwasher toward the bottom of the counter-top, but I cannot figure out how to post it here.)

Default Re: How to remove epoxy'd dishwasher connector???

A photo would help, and you can load it to a host like photoucket and then give us the link.

Without a photo, I would guess: use a chisel and a hammer to break the clips loose, but work delicately not to damage your granite. One mistake and it's all over.

Then, when you install the new DW, figure out a way to attach it, even if it would have to be the same way as before.

Picture please, several will help

For future reference, a threaded steel or brass insert would be a better option. The insert is epoxied into a hole in the underside of the granite, then the dishwasher is bolted to the insert. At least that way you can unbolt the dishwasher (the insert stays there).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I have installed hundreds of dishwashers. one thing i never would do is to drill into the marble or granite with a hammer drill to install a plug so that i could secure the dishwasher. I was afraid that i would drill through the counter top and then the home owner would hold me responsible. If the home owner wanted to drill then let him do so, I would glue a brackett and then attach a screw or bolt. What do the others on this web site that are pros feel about drilling into a granite counter top from below if it workers you get what a hundred bucks. If you put a hole through the counter you are out 3-4 thousand. that being said a good grinder should be able to remove the brackett. a photo would help

Red face Re: How to remove epoxy'd dishwasher connector??? SOLVED!

Good old hand tool - hack saw did it. Hacked saw'd off the nut then the whole metal piece that connected to the dishwasher just slipped out. Still think whoever did this ought to be superglued!! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by elra45 View Post
    When they installed our granite counter-top, they connected the dishwasher via a metal plate and epoxy glue. There is a flat metal plate then a bolt then the dishwasher piece with the holes in it and then the screw that goes through the hole into the bolt. Now the dishwasher is broken and we need to remove that connection so there is enough space for the top of the new dishwasher to slip in. The epoxy does not dissolve with acetone. We've used a Dremel grinding wheel (for metal) but it has only made the situation worse. The screw is unmovable. We highly advise against this method of connecting a dishwasher to a granite counter-top! ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

(I have a pix of the connection before the drilling showing it looking from the dishwasher toward the bottom of the counter-top, but I cannot figure out how to post it here.)

They did glue a piece of metal to the granite then there was a nut then the dishwasher "plate" with the holes in it then a screw through that plate. They had to have also glued the screw too as it would not budge at all from the nut. I'm very handy and this was one tough nut to crack (ha! ha!). We ended up using both a grinder and a hack saw (latter by hand). The hack saw did it. Thanks for your comments....

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    I have installed hundreds of dishwashers. one thing i never would do is to drill into the marble or granite with a hammer drill to install a plug so that i could secure the dishwasher. I was afraid that i would drill through the counter top and then the home owner would hold me responsible. If the home owner wanted to drill then let him do so, I would glue a brackett and then attach a screw or bolt. What do the others on this web site that are pros feel about drilling into a granite counter top from below if it workers you get what a hundred bucks. If you put a hole through the counter you are out 3-4 thousand. that being said a good grinder should be able to remove the brackett. a photo would help

Still wondering: how will you secure the new dish washer?

Sometimes methods which are used to do things don't take into account future changes. But sometimes there are very good reasons for taking this approach which may (or may not) outweigh the future issues. It can be a hard judgment call to make, so I will not blame the original installer. Like Bill said, the possible liability of killing a countertop far outweighs the hassle that removing the bracket is. Sometimes you just have to tough it out- perseverance is a very necessary skill in this business!

Phil