+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove bottom rows of cedar shakes?

I recently purchased an older home with beautiful cedar shakes. Unfortunately, the shakes run all the way to ground level. Not only is it a problem that they are in contact with the ground, but we will actually end up burying them under soil when we regrade our yard if they are not removed.

What is the best way to remove the entire two bottom rows of cedar shakes? I can find information on how to remove a single shake, but am wondering if there is a better way I can do our entire house at once.

Thank you

Default Re: How to remove bottom rows of cedar shakes?

The more important question - what is under the shakes that you are fixin to put soil against ????

The information you found on how to remove a single shake is true as to remove two shakes, three shake or an entire row.

The shake pieces are probably held by nails over some sort of house wrap. Therefore you need to get under the cedar to yank the nails out with a craw bar. In the process you will rip the wrap and consequently will have to re-do the wrap. Also we don't know what you have under the wrap.

Once the shakes are gone, what are you planning on installing instead?

take the advice of houston and dj.....for your job you can purchase a "shingle bar".....at least that's what i call it. it's a specialized shingle removal crow bar type tool that you can buy at any lumber yard for about $15-$20.

For the shakes to be attached, there has to be something for them to be attached to and it's likely not the foundation but the framing of the house- and you can't put dirt or mulch up that high. You may have to re-think your regrading project to mitigate the problem and if surface water is an issue be sure to allow for that in your plans.

Phil