+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face in the counter cutting boards?

In one of your shows you showed a recessed cutting board that you installed right into the top of the countertop so it was flush with the countertop but could also be removed easily for cleaning . ***!!!!!!! where can I find one of these kits to install into my countertop and whats the official name of this kit. I have limited space and think this is a great idea!!!!

Question Re: in the counter cutting boards?

I am also looking for the inset cutting board. Talked to a salesperson at Lowes. They have had several people come in looking for it. Lowes is trying to find them. Home Depot had no idea what we were talking about. If anybody knows where these can be purchased, I would love to know. Mom burnt her formica countertop and this would be a great way to fix it.

Default Re: in the counter cutting boards?

This is what I found. Not sure if it is the company that they used on ATOH but it looks similar. Hope it helps everyone out.

Mike
    http://www.vanceind.com/built-insurfacesavers.aspx

Talking Re: in the counter cutting boards?

Thank you so very, very much Mike for the link to Vance Industries. This is EXACTLY what we were looking for. We really appreciate your help. You are a life saver!

hello all,
    You are awesome to have found the answer like that. How hard are they to install?

Do you think it is feasible for an apartment? The cutting boards there tend to be old and rather gross. Thanks, Sam.

kitchen contractors

Quote Originally Posted by sam999 View Post
    hello all,
    You are awesome to have found the answer like that. How hard are they to install?

Do you think it is feasible for an apartment? The cutting boards there tend to be old and rather gross. Thanks, Sam.

kitchen contractors
    they are very simple to install you take the ring and place it where you are wanting it on the counter top with the top up . take a pencil and run it around the part of the ring that will recess into the top on the out side edge of it. (you should still have about a quarter of an inch of the top part of the ring that is past your pencil mark) take a drill and drill a 3/8 inch hole on the inside of your marks then take your jig saw and cut on your pencil mark. now the ring should sit down into the counter top the glass will mount from under the top with fastners very similar to those for a stainless steel sink.

they posted an episode description today (19 days after first aired!) according to the description they used a cutting board kit from http://www.counterware.com/
    here is a link to the (finally!) posted episode description:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...228407,00.html

i wouldn't be cutting out a rented apartment countertop without permission (written) from the owner/landlord/managing agent first.

Unhappy Re: in the counter cutting boards?

Like all the others who have asked about the manufacturer of the cutting board inlay demonstrated on Ask This Old House (ATOH) this company (counterware.com) does not exist anymore. The Vance Industries company (www.vanceind.com) mentioned on this site, does offer inlay cutting boards, but not like the one demonstated on ATOH. I purchased and installed 2 of the Vance Co. cutting boards and they are not holding up very well. The big difference between their board and the one on ATOH is the ATOH one has a "stainless steel tray" that the cutting board sits in. The Vance Ind. board has only a very thin rim for the board to sit in. After 6 months the 2 boards I purchased through Vance Ind. are beginning to sag in the middle due to lack of support. Also, the rim that holds the board in place has begun to lift off the counter service because of the food and other debree that has wedged into the caulked crack. The stainless steel tray is a whole lot better product and idea, only if I could locate a supplier of that product. Anyone who knows where to purchase that product I sure would appreciate knowing there name and address. It sure would be nice of TOH or ATOH to post a correct email address for this product if there going to promote the product on there TV show!!!

any local machine shop can fabricate a stainless steel tray 1-1/4 inch deep and then you can have a wood cutting board or stone cut to fit in,any size you want.