+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Exterior water problems / flooding/ flooring question

Believe me, the rain isn't the only thing they tax.

Thanks ed. I don’t think there is any wood in the one I am looking at. It is urethane over a vinyl base. I think it is this one – I did not look at it at Menards though so I’m not positive, but it is made by Congoleum.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2284851-c-6617.htm

It is not attached to a wood base of any kind – It sort of reminds me of wide firm Hot Wheels track. They gave me a free sample. I am going to cut a piece off and throw in a bucket of water for a day.

But, I am leaning more towards the tile. I am going to look around for some next week and will have it professionally installed.

I can ask this on the John Bridge forum, but is any tile better than other for waterproof. I will be looking at something 12 x 12 in ceramic porcelain floor tile – not expensive. I may have what I can salvage of the carpet bound into area rugs.

From what I have been hearing around town I am lucky. I only had some water soak into the carpet. Others have a few inches of standing water in their basements.

Feeling the tax pain as husband is small business owner

Ceramic tile will be best but VCT tiles or 'battleship' heavy sheet vinyl would also do fine with a waterproof mastic. There's always the option of adding area rugs and runners for comfort, they can be removed prior to the flooding or afterward as needed. I didn't check out the pics yet (shame on me!) but all waterproofing starts outside away from the house; water that never gets there isn't a problem so regrade, add low walls to divert it, do whatever you can to keep the water away first. next step is to get rid of any water that makes it past this- french drains, regrading away from the house, diverting it downhill to where it won't come back. Next is structural waterproofing (a big job and expense with existing houses so best avoided where possible by making the first two work). Sump pumps are not a solution; they should rarely be needed if the rest is right and they should be enough for anything short of complete submersion. They're like a lifeboat for use only when all else has failed.

As I mentioned here before, sometimes you just can't win and that's what good insurance is for. Get the coverage you need and get connected with the contractors who deal with water restoration so they will hopefully be able to get to you first or at least faster than usual. If your deductible is high, you may want to consider buying some of the equipment they use like high efficiency fans and water extractors so you can DIY that part of the work better and easier yourself. If all that fails, attach a sail to the chimney and sell it as a luxuryhouseboat; those things sell for a lot of money!

BTW, we do 'fight' here sometimes but like brothers, we're back together the next day and we wouldn't have it any other way. It's our respect for differences of professional opinions, that's all. Nobody is wrong, just different!

Phil

Thanks Mastercarpenter

We have the French drains, proper grading etc. 99% of the time, our house handles water fine. Our house is the lowest on our side of the street as well as the street behind us and during heavy rains – flash flood conditions, we get a tremendous amount of runoff into our yard. I am not sure there is a solution to that. I am not sure I can hold my neighbors responsible just because their houses are placed a little higher than mine.

We have sump pumps because there is no place low to send ground water by gravity. The water table fluctuates and is very high in the spring and early summer - life in a river town where the humidity from the gulf meets the cold air from Canada. My basement is 7 ft below grade and it is common for sump pumps to pump ground water at times in this area. I suspect there is an underground spring close to or on my property because the water table is exceptionally high here. Someday I hope I can figure out how to access this water for my garden.

Many of the newer home here are built with half the living space below grade – ranches with full complete basements. Without sump pumps, the basements would be useless for living space.

The tile installer stopped by today and agreed with you all – tile would be the best solution. He said the vinyl plank will work, but they are applied by latex adhesive which fails in high moisture. When that happens, the vinyl plank can be cleaned off and put down again with new adhesive - a chore, but not as bad as removing carpet. He lives in a little town 15 miles down river – every home there has water in the basement.

I am going with the tile. Professional clean up is super expensive. Our insurance deductable is high, the clean up is too much of a pain and we even have the fans, dehumidifiers etc. With tile, I can get the water up quickly and clean up fast.

I know you are all friends – I am funning with you all too

FWIW, ceramic and porcelain tiles are not waterproof - but they are not damaged by water either. They can take flooding after flooding and bounce back like new.

We tiled a home in Galveston. After each hurricane we throw the fish back into the water, powerscrub the floor with a pressure washer, shop vac up the water and the floor looks good as new.