+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Exterior water problems / flooding/ flooring question

Lily,

I like how you restoring order here, "no fighting".

You know, we never fight. We are beyond fighting. We just have different opinions sometimes, but when all the pieces are down - we agree!

You mentioned Carmel, CA - I used to know someone who lived there, no, not Clint Eastwood, and he told me that at one time he hasn't seen the sun in over ten months! Around here we have the sun 365 days a year.

You also mentioned using sea water. Yes we have the know how and the technology. The trouble is that the average desalization plant can provide enough water for 25,000 people only at outrageous cost. Do the math and see why it's not done in CA.

Diverting excess water to the (tarnished) G o l d e n State is the only way to do it. And BTW, it was done in Israel some 60 years ago. Today Israel is a leading country in all sorts of water issues, including providing fresh water to...yes, Arabs (for a small fee).

Oh yes, I almost forgot, happy 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You know, we never fight. We are beyond fighting. We just have different opinions sometimes, but when all the pieces are down - we agree!
    You're a poopie head, we never agree, ever!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I know you all never really fight Ė men with power tools fighting could get ugly

(Spruce, donít call your friend a poopie head or Iíll take your nail gun away for a week.)

Just got back from watching a Jefferson Starship concert in the baseball field while little kiddies ran around with sparklers. Conservatives and liberals all getting along and enjoying a lovely evening - the way it should be. (Except for the drunk guy who wanted to know where in the Ďhecí was Grace Slick.)

(Dj Ė a quick unscientific look through the world wide web and possibly viewing questionalble sources Ė Israel gets most of its water from desalination plants and is considered a model for California

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    (Spruce, donít call your friend a poopie head or Iíll take your nail gun away for a week.)
    I apologize, I shouldn't use such strong language!

Dj knows I'm just giving him a hard time, how would any of these guys know they were loved if they didn't get a hard time periodically?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce has called me worse than that, especially when I was right and he was wrong...He also treats me like a little brother, because he is so much older than me...

Just kidding of course, spruce is one smart dude, whose opinions are always appreciated here.

And if you excuse me now, I got to find the USA flag in the garage, my wife wants it out there in the morning.

Correction, I'm never wrong, you just weren't asking the right questions.

(totally teasing, in case that was missed)

It seems unlikely to me that the vinyl plank would be a good choice for occasional flooding. The wood substrate( engineered, composite, etc) would trap and absorb water leading to swelling and probably mold.
    As a finished floor I agree ceramic tile is likely the best choice. Area rugs can be used to offset the cold floor.

I can't give you any solutions to your flooding. Possibly a really experienced grading contractor or civil engineer could help. A real solution probably involves more than just your yard.

We tend to have such an abundance of water here in Maryland that our "esteemed" governor pushed through a rain tax. If you see the name Martin O'Malley on a ballot, hold onto your wallet and pull another lever.

"We tend to have such an abundance of water here in Maryland that our "esteemed" governor pushed through a rain tax. If you see the name Martin O'Malley on a ballot, hold onto your wallet and pull another lever."

ed,

I hear your pain on this "Independence and Freedom day"...If you are mad about the fact that you have to pay rain tax, you'll really go ballistic when you find out where most of the rain tax money is going to go: payroll.

Here in S. CA we've been paying higher water rates, to build and maintain waterways, because we have too little rain.

Get it? they will tax you whether there's rain or not.