+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Exterior water problems / flooding/ flooring question

I am feeling much sympathy with retiredladyteacher as I am also battling water issues.

Our house has two high powered sump pumps with backup batteries and drains around the house leading to the pumps. Our ground water level is very high and sometimes the pumps pump year round – except in the drought a couple of years ago. We are also the lowest point on our side of the street.

Despite the pumps, about every 5 years we get torrential rains and a flash flood and water in the basement. We finished the basement 5 years ago when we thought we had done enough waterproofing, but we have had basement flooding twice since then – enough to saturate the carpet but not worse. Yesterday it happened again.

These pictures are not from yesterday but from a similar storm. They show all the water entering our yard from the backyards to the north:

http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...tml?sort=3&o=0

I have two questions. First, does anybody have any ideas about how to divert all this water away from the house? Second, I am pulling up the carpet. What kind of flooring could take seepage of rainwater every 5 years or so? I am looking at vinyl plank flooring installed with adhesive on the basement concrete.

Default Re: Exterior water problems / flooding/ flooring question

Ceramic and porcelain tiles will last a lifetime.

I have thought about that. The bath with ceramic tile is the only dry floor right now in the basement. I have tiled two bathrooms upstairs, but eventually I will need to floor about 600sf in the basement - bedroom, hallway, man cave and kitchenette (only partially finished). This will probably be a DIY project for budget reasons. The floor will need leveling for tile, and it is a little cold on the toes. And I have to get out the wet saw. I am not sure I am up to it.

The vinyl wood looking floor plank is a step up from what the home centers carry and is being used in bathrooms. I am wondering if it can stand up to the occasional mild flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    The vinyl wood looking floor plank is a step up from what the home centers carry and is being used in bathrooms. I am wondering if it can stand up to the occasional mild flooding.
    Not likely, tile is your best bet. Also, you could hire a pro to come in and smooth out the floor for you, then you can lay the tile yourself, if smoothing out the floor is an issue.

As for the surface water, if you're getting runoff from the neighbors, then you need to look into your local codes, most jurisdictions don't allow water from one property to be diverted to another. Natural seepage is one thing, but if it is excessive, then the neighbors could be held accountable. Your other option is to install surface drainage on your own property to handle this water, diverting it to municipal systems.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Lily,

Your pictures show a lot of water around your yard, can you give me some?

I could not see your gutters, but I assume that a good part of the standing water comes from the roof.

You can solve part of the problem by having the water run off from your roof removed via a drain system (good gutters, down spouts and drain pipes) and out of your lot.

DJ – my mother in law gets first dibs on the water if I can figure out a way to send it to California

The gutters are ok and downspouts are buried and exit a good 10 ft from the house and not into the backyard. The garage has a gable roof, but the house has a simple hip roof. One downspout needs some adjustment but it is over by the garage and it adds very little to the backyard water.

The water is seeping in between the fireplace and the north end of the house and along the north wall. A river forms flowing down the backyards to the north and turns between my house and the house to the north of me. Some of this water doesn’t turn and floods the backyard. After flowing between the houses, the “river” flows to the street and into the storm sewer in front of my house.

The house behind me is also higher than my house. The storm sewer for his street is in front of his house. My daughter was driving home from work in the storm and turned down that street because she knew ours would be flooded. She said the street behind us was also flooded in front of his house – two cars stuck in the water. That means that the storm sewer was backed up and water was flowing down my neighbors yard into mine. Our storm sewer backed up and water got as high as half way up the mailbox – which is as high as it can go before it jumps the curb across the street forming a river again down between the backyards of those people. The pictures I posted previously were taken after a storm and flash flood - there is much more water during the storm and it moves really fast.

http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...tml?sort=3&o=0

In the second picture, you can see a light colored fence. That neighbor used to get water in her basement till she put the fence up and it diverted the water away – I am wondering if that would work.

We had three storm fronts move through Monday. It wasn’t until the last one, where the water got up to halfway up the mailbox and the storm sewer was overflowing that the seepage into the basement started.

This is not a common occurrence. We make it through heavy rains and thunderstorms most of the time without trouble. When the city had major flooding several years ago, our house was not affected. It is just such a major pain when it does happen. I got better things to do than shop vac water all day and clean carpet.

I am thinking of a compromise on the flooring. I may tile my son’s room and the hall – I might even be able to afford the instillation on that and thanks for the idea of getting someone to level it for me if I DIY. The carpet in the family room only got wet in one corner, but perhaps I will buy enough tile to eventually do the whole thing and the kitchenette area too – if we ever get the $ to finish it. I would still prefer to do the vinyl planks put down with adhesive if someone can give them a good report. My time to work on DIY projects gets so interrupted that tiling is a pain.
    Last edited by Lily; 07-02-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    DJ my mother in law gets first dibs on the water if I can figure out a way to send it to California
    It's easy, all you do is build a massive tunnel . . .

Sorry, this is a really BAD joke California politicians are trying to force feed the majority of the state.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's easy, all you do is build a massive tunnel . . .

Sorry, this is a really BAD joke California politicians are trying to force feed the majority of the state.
    All politics aside, and not because I care... California grows a lot to feed the entire country. Almonds, g****s and raisins, avocados, oranges, lemons, lettuce....there is no end to this list.

CA farmers get no water, America will have to go without all of the above, or worse, import some from other countries like Mexico, where irrigation water is substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    All politics aside, and not because I care... California grows a lot to feed the entire country. Almonds, g****s and raisins, avocados, oranges, lemons, lettuce....there is no end to this list.

CA farmers get no water, America will have to go without all of the above, or worse, import some from other countries like Mexico, where irrigation water is substandard.
    The proposed tunnel system is to divert water from the north state and send it to LA. This is solely for the LA populace, not agriculture. In fact, this will take water away from the agricultural areas, which are already hit hard by the current drought we are in.

My husband is from California the northern part. It is a beautiful state and one of the prettiest drives in the country is down Hwy. 1. If I had a fortune I would have a little house overlooking Monterey Bay but not Carmel too posh.

The brilliant minds of Silicon Valley need to come up with a solar powered desalination plant. I think it is ironic that the state with one of the longest coastlines has no water, while I here in the land locked Midwest could not dig a footing right now without hitting a well. I hope California gets water because I would miss my strawberries, but we have plenty of pigs, chicken and corn. Actually more pigs and chickens than people. I sort of like wide open spaces.

No fighting - You all are supposed to be figuring out how to solve my water problems I have to go find a good floor installer for both upstairs and downstairs and maybe buy some Clorox.

Happy 4th