+ Reply to Thread

Default I want to cry about my kitchen floor

I have spent over a year now redoing my tiny kitchen on a budget. I thought I was done in early May when the carpenter topped it all off with new cork flooring over (and here's the bad part)"moisture barrier. My new dishwasher apparently leaked, has been leaking all along... I don't know. I just discovered last Saturday that the cork felt especially springy then noticed the water seeping up through a new seam that hadn't been visible before. Yesterday both plumber and appliance guys checked out dishwasher and could find nothing wrong, though the first thing out of one appliance guy's mouth was,"Your plumber didn't level this; it's leaning to the front which could have cause water to seep out." I reminded him that their guy was the last one to pull the dishwasher out, and suddenly there's no problem, can't see anything wrong.

Meanwhile, the flooring. I thought it was going to be a square about 30 x 30 in front of the dishwasher, but trying to pull that up this morning, I find that the ironically named "moisture barrier" in fact absorbed the moisture and wicked it halfway across the floor. I don't even know if the underlayment will be salvageable though so far, it just looks wet. So, I don't know what to do. "No problem"? As the fellow who laid the floor said,"These things don't correct themselves." Any suggestions? I already contacted the insurance company and the deductible is $500 which is about 60% of what the floor installation cost in the first place.

I don't see a crying icon below.

Default Re: I want to cry about my kitchen floor

Well, the only way that floor is going to dry out is to get it opened up, which means pulling up the cork flooring, at that point, the subfloor can be assessed for damage.

As to the source of the leak, I would recommend checking around the door really well for signs of leaks, could be a bad door gasket.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Even a slightly out of level dishwasher shouldn't leak.
    Check the door and gasket carefully when it is running.
    A more likely cause is a leak in one of the connections. Pull off the lower panel and try to see anything. Very small leaks can be hard to spot because the water may flow over the pipe or tubing and not drip at the connection.
    Could be a defect in the dw. Try checking on-line for complaints.
    Could be in a drain line that only happens when the dw is emptying.
    The floor needs pulling up, but the leak needs to be corrected before it can be fixed.
    Any chance the leak is coming from somewhere else? Water has a way of taking its own path before showing itself. Possibilities are ice maker and sink lines. Even an overflowing condensate pan under the refrigerator.

Sorry about your damage, but now you know that the best floor for wet places, like kitchens and baths, is tile.

Not solid wood, not laminate or engineered wood, not even vinyl, cork, foam or whatever.

Some folks have solid hardwood, and they "love it", but if they have a leak, they take a loss.

There is a lot to be said for traditional methods which have stood the test of time. Little good can be said for styling trends which will prove inadequate for the purpose. Designers hate to be restricted so they 'buy' the manufacturers biased claims about the products they sell then pass it along to others until the problems become widely known and the designers try selling something else instead.

Cork flooring does not belong in any potentially wet areas. It's that simple. If you want it anyway, be prepared to pay the price for your decision as you are seeing now. Nothing beats a well installed tile floor for potentially wet areas and it looks like that isn't going to change for a long time to come.

Phil