+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need cold water

Hybrid View

Default need cold water

I recently saw on an episode how they used a heat pump connected to the water heater to heat the water to save energy. I am wondering if there is a reverse process. we live in Arizona and have well water. during the summer we do not have any cold water because the water is heated in the storage tanks on top of our aquifer of water is hot, making it very difficult sometimes. we have to run bath water for our two year old and let it sit until it cools down enough to give her a bath. we are trying to find a solution. please help!!!

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: need cold water

Have you considered a buried storage tank or running the cold line from the storage tank trough a buried coiling coil?

Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-28-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Are the storage tanks located on the roof or outside? Can they be located inside or are they too large. Maybe the tanks could be insulated and/or covered by a roof to shade them.
    While I'm not real familiar with the systems, I'm thinking about cooling systems used for commercial soda or beer dispensing systems. I believe the liquid goes through copper coils that are cooled by a refrigeration system. Maybe something could be modified to work on the incoming hot water.

What about installing a valve to by-pass the storage tank and to let fresh cool well water through on those hot days?

If the well isn't too distant then you could route the water from the storage tank through a formed copper coil dropped into the well so that the water in there would cool it naturally before it went to the house. As long as the piping is deep enough underground this should keep the water always cool if not fully cold. You might be able to achieve similar results by burying a coil deeply (at least ten feet down) near the house so the earth could take away the excess heat.

Gotta say I've never heard of this problem before but I can understand it. Like looped geothermal systems the earth temperature is about 60 degrees F when you get down 8-10 feet so it's a viable energy source you can use that never quits or sends you a bill. Can't beat that!