+ Reply to Thread

Default Difference in depth measurements between base and upper cabinetry

As part of our kitchen renovation, we are demolishing our current pantry closet and replacing it with cabinetry. Our new kitchen will have a pantry cabinet in another part of the kitchen. We want to put upper and lower cabinets in the location of our current pantry. The current closet pantry measures about 16 inches from the wall. Due to the detentions of the kitchen we don't want to make the base cabinets substantially deeper or we won't have enough space for our eat in area.

So my question is this: will it work if we do 18 inch base cabinets and 12 inch wall cabinets? Concerned about headspace.

Also, the company we are going with does not have 18 inch base cabinets standard, so the price will increase with this modification and we would prefer not to modify both upper and lower cabinets.

Otherwise we might be able to do 18 inch base cabinets and 9 inch wall cabinets. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: Difference in depth measurements between base and upper cabinetry

Both are poor options.

You'll have precious little counter space to work with. While you may find it OK, the next purchaser - who is looking at standard sized homes, will find the much smaller counters very awkward.

The final decision is yours, its your house and your money.

Choose wisely grasshoppah.

I should clarify that this is not workspace and is not in the main cooking area. This is a wall and corner that would otherwise be empty. I am thinking of kind of a built in China closet effect. The counter might be used for a coffee maker or as an extra serving space for entertaining, maybe for sugar/flour canisters, but definitely not for any food preparation due to its location. Thanks!

Oh that makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfran94 View Post
    I should clarify that this is not workspace and is not in the main cooking area. This is a wall and corner that would otherwise be empty. I am thinking of kind of a built in China closet effect. The counter might be used for a coffee maker or as an extra serving space for entertaining, maybe for sugar/flour canisters, but definitely not for any food preparation due to its location. Thanks!
    I have a friend who did this in her kitchen, the look is great, counter function is pretty decent, mostly a catch-all or a buffet service area. The storage in the lower cabinets is minimal at best, being so shallow, but, when you consider that it would be wasted space otherwise, then the little extra storage it provides can be quite nice. I don't know the depth of the lowers, but I'm certain the uppers are 12", so the lowers have to be 16"-18" deep.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Maybe you should consider filling the space with open shelves instead.

If you're thinking of a "China Cabinet" effect, have you priced having something like that built in instead of trying to bodge together cabinets instead? As long as you're not wanting lots of details or expensive exotic woods the price may be more reasonable than you think, plus it will be a feature that will appeal to more buyers when time to sell comes. Unless you're in a really big city there's not going to be a huge number of cabinet shops and there will be at least one known for it's lower prices. Get several estimates as the prices can vary hugely.

For plain paint-grade custom cabinets my cheapo guy here is about half of what the others charge for the same work because that's all he does while they prefer doing fancier stuff which he will not do. He's quirky and slow but when price matters he's well worth the wait Maybe you can find someone similar where you are.

Phil