+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing wood floor around curved fireplace hearth

I want to put engineered wood flooring in my living room and dining room. The only thing standing in the way of my starting is the question of how to fit it around a curved fireplace hearth (brick). For all of the rest of the rooms, the edges are not a problem. I'll be replacing baseboards, so I will pull the old ones out and put the new ones in after the flooring is down, so the necessary gaps around the edges will be covered.

However, I can't figure out how to deal with the edge gap along the curved hearth. Sure would appreciate some help with this.

Default Re: Installing wood floor around curved fireplace hearth

1 - see if there is a companion molding for your flooring that is flexible enough to make the curve. Specifically, you're looking for a wood to door threshold molding, which is basically rabbited on one side to accept the flooring and square on the other, the top will be rounded to blend into the floor.

2 - Choose a molding from the trim and molding aisle that will make the bend and finish it to match the floor.

3 - Find a cabinet shop and have them make up a segmented molding to match the curve. You can make your own if you have the tools and skill, I'm assuming you don't, however, hence your question.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Seems the engineers didn't give real world conditions a thought once again. My suggestion is to forget about the engineered flooring and go with a traditional hardwood floor which can be easily fitted to the curved hearth and will outlast any other wood flooring there is anyway. If you insist on installing an inferior flooring I doubt there is a factory made accessory part which will help you here so it's likely to be something custom-made which might void the flooring warranty since they didn't make or recommend it.

Hard to beat traditional methods with a long track record of success isn't it?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Seems the engineers didn't give real world conditions a thought once again. My suggestion is to forget about the engineered flooring and go with a traditional hardwood floor which can be easily fitted to the curved hearth and will outlast any other wood flooring there is anyway.
    This isn't exactly true, if the right brand of engineered flooring is chosen. If the finished layer of the flooring is thinner than paper, then yes, why bother? However, if the finished layer is 1/8" thick or more, then you're dealing with a pretty darned good product (Kahr's is one such brand ). When I did my floor, I used Kahr's, and left a minimal gap at the front door for expansion, with no molding over it. It looked good and was never a problem. Your mileage my vary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    if the finished layer is 1/8" thick or more, then you're dealing with a pretty darned good product .
    That depends as well. If your floor isn't pretty flat, then on sanding more will be removed from the high spots, possibly giving you just one refinish. And most older floors aren't very flat. Plus the sanding tech might get sloppy and go too deeply- do that once in one spot and the whole floor is toast, but with real hardwood such minor baubles can be blended out with little ill effect.

There are times and places where a good engineered floor might be a good choice but IMHO they will never match or exceed the traditional method and many times they are simply a bad choice. With the curved hearth I think this is one of those times, You're right though- YMMV is the standard!

Phil