+ Reply to Thread

Question Deck sag - How would you fix this issue?

Greetings all,

I've got a small balcony deck that is gradually pulling away from the house. It has a number of issues related to poor construction: No joist hangers, some joists not correct dimensions, two piece rim joist, etc.

Pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZ8aBw8

The deck is approx 5' x 15' and as you can tell from the photos, supported by two angled posts and built around the chimney.

I'm looking to either safely fix or replace some / all components. Not shown in the picture is a temporary post that is holding up the corner to prevent further sagging.

Any advice is appreciated!

GG
    Last edited by GG2014; 06-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Deck sag - How would you fix this issue?

1. You need to install 3 posts, one on each corner and one in the middle. Each post footing to go deeper than frost line.

2. Your angled supporters are inadequate and pose a danger. As it is now, I wouldn't put my foot on this deck.

3. Attach the ledger to the structure using lag nuts into the framing.

Other than that, the lumber looks fine. You may want to protect the lumber (stain or sealant).

From what I can see none of the joists or beam are cantilevered through the wall of the house, which is what I would expect without post supports. I can't believe a building inspector signed off on it.
    What dj1 says sounds about right.

What they said.

This needs a serious fix, not a band aide

I forgot to mention that this deck is situated on the third floor, above another deck. Essentially its the top level above two others, so I really want to avoid using vertical posts on the corners as they would not be in contact w the ground.

Are the other decks sagging? Is this a condo, meaning do you only own your deck and not the others below.
    If you can't or don't want posts to the ground, I suggest you hire an engineer to come up with a design.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Are the other decks sagging? Is this a condo, meaning do you only own your deck and not the others below.
    If you can't or don't want posts to the ground, I suggest you hire an engineer to come up with a design.

Nah, it's a vacation home. That deck is probably 25' above grade and I would have to go through two other decks before hitting ground.

You need to get to the ground or remove the deck.

Or that deck will eventually fall down to the ground by itself someday.

It was poorly engineered from the begininning

I can't see your pictures, it would be better if you posted them on photobucket. But what you need to fasten the deck to the house are these headlok screws

http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/...-fastener.html

But as this is on the third floor, even these may not be up to code. You may be required to use a through bolt fastener which will mean tearing up your floor boards to get to the backside of your rim joist. The headlok may be able to pull the deck back into place but ultimately, the through bolt system will need to be used. I'd start with two headlok screws every 16", then follow the code for the through bolts requirements.

Lag bolts will not be enough. They are OK for ground level decks. In your case, you may need threaded rods that go from the outside rim joist of the deck all the way through the rim joist of your condo.

If the angled supports are under your deck and attached to the walls of the unit below, they will need to be through bolted as well. You will need your neighbors cooperation to do this.

To do any work on this deck, you will need to set up scaffolding first. You cannot go out and stand on this deck while repairing it. It needs toe be repaired soon as you will be responsible if the deck falls off and hurts anyone below.

BTW, you may have a case against the contractor who put up this deck, you will need to consult with a lawyer though if you want to consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by GG2014 View Post
    I forgot to mention that this deck is situated on the third floor, above another deck. Essentially its the top level above two others, so I really want to avoid using vertical posts on the corners as they would not be in contact w the ground.
    With this new information, your case is even more severe than before.

Don't set a foot on this deck balcony, you will be risking injury.

If you don't want to bring this deck up to code, you will have to remove it.

Now, if we only knew where the house is located...