+ Reply to Thread

Default help! outdated white formica cabinets

I have outdated white formica cabinets in my kitchen. high end manufacturer but nevertheless- outdated.
    I would like to re-do the doors only- the actual cabinet boxes are in great condition with pull outs on the bottom.
    about 20 doors, 15 drawers. I wrote the manufacturer- no response. spoke with HD rep- he actually did
    not recommend refacing. other than replacing the doors- any other suggestions?? thank you

Default Re: help! outdated white formica cabinets

If you go to Pinterest and do a search for Formica cabinets or laminate cabinets, you will find a number of ways people have changed the look of their cabinets. You do not have to join Pinterest to look through it. I have not tried any of these ideas. Most involve paint. If you click on the picture, it will enlarge and often the website it was featured on will be underneath.

Some of these ideas include peeling off the laminate and then working with the MDF underneath. In some cases it is particle board underneath, but this seems to work out OK as long as it is sealed with an oil based primer. (Not sure I believe that.) Zinsser BIN is recommended.

Some add trim and / or beadboard. If painting over the Formica, an oil based primer like BIN is also recommended.

Often, you can purchase replacement doors. These do not have to come from the same manufacturer, but you do need to be sure they will fit and open properly on the hinges. The same if you add trim work to the old door that will make it thicker and so you have to think about that when considering hinges and how that will affect how far the door will open.