+ Reply to Thread

Default Does anyone know the rules about the Mass Save insulation program?

Their website has no information at all and other websites give conflicting info. I've tried emailing and I just don't have the patience to wait on hold any more, so I was hoping someone here might know how their program works.

They give you either 75% of up to $2000 ($1500) or 75% up to $2000 ($2000) towards insulation (their website and phone reps disagree on which, as do contractors) and they don't list what kind of insulation you can use. Nor if this applies to heating pipe insulation or only walls. They told me it was only blown cellulose through contractors, but then one of the contractors said fiberglass is also covered. It would be tough to insulate bare basement walls with cellulose... I was really hoping spray foam or foam board would be covered but all sources say no.

Anyway, I plan on taking advantage of this program. The caps are annoying, I may try to spread my insulation out over multiple years but it could take 3 or 4 years... (I have no insulation at all, and none on my steam pipes do either).

I can confirm there are no programs whatsoever, federal or local, for storm windows. That was my first purchase. I don't think they even qualify for loans, while less efficient options like replacements seem to.

Default Re: Does anyone know the rules about the Mass Save insulation program?

Sounds like a typical government program.

Most of the times, even if you follow the guidelines with 100% accuracy, you get rejected.

You need to get your answers from them directly- preferably in writing on their letterhead from someone authorized to give the answers. You're dealing with a government agency so any other approach is going to fail.

Phil

I'm not aware of any government involvement. It seems to be through utilities, emails go to the utility, etc. My town is far better run than this, with a much more informative website.

Their energy audit was great and they gave me a ton of free stuff, it's their website that's lacking. And as I said they don't have anything in writing, but I did get this helpful email a week after contacting them:

Dear NSTAR Customer:

Cellulose is the preferred method of insulating in the Home Energy Services (HES) Program, but there are also applications where cellulose is not possible, and other options such as thermal barrier board and/or fiberglass is used.

If you prefer to provide your contact phone number, we can have a representative contact you directly for more information.

If you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please contact us via e-mail or phone at 800-592-2000.
    So, it's cellulose, except when it isn't. I guess that answers my immediate question, as cellulose is possible where I am starting.

As for if they give you $1500 or $2000, there website says
    You could qualify for an insulation rebate worth 75% of the cost of approved insulation upgrades, up to $2000.
    So should I take that to mean $2000, meaning 75% off $2,666.66? Guess I'll find out soon.