+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Painting exterior metal

Now that I cleaned the metal stairs, I realize there is some separation between the stair risers and treads. The splits had been closed using some sort of rubbery material, maybe caulk. I would like to clean out this material, as it is loose. Any advice on the best product to reseal these opening would be greatly appreciated. Although it may sound like it, the stairs are not at all rickety. Thank you.

A butyl or silane caulk would be nice. What color did you want?

I'm painting the stairs glossy black. Is the butyl you recommend a tape I'm seeing on the Home Depot web site?
    It sounds neat and easy. Butyl good for black, or silane caulk better. I guess one takes paint better or you wouldn't have asked about the color. And thank you for your response.

The trick will be finding the caulk in the color you want

Perhaps another Pro will know a source for the black caulk you need. Generally if its waterproof, its not paintable.

How about GE Silicone ii paintable silicone?

No, its not.

A good caulking for this job is "Lexel" which is clear, durable, very elastic, very adhesive, and paintable. Be careful in applying it as it is very sticky and tends to smear- this also prohibits the usual 'tooling' afterwards with a fingertip so make it right as you apply it.

Phil

Is there a correct order of the priming, painting and lexel caulking? Between leaving the metel unprotected after scraping old paint and rust, and waiting a week to a month the lexel advises before painting, and wanting to make sure the lexel adheres, I was planning on priming first, lexel, lastly top coat. Ok?

Sounds good under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Is there a correct order of the priming, painting and lexel caulking? Between leaving the metel unprotected after scraping old paint and rust, and waiting a week to a month the lexel advises before painting, and wanting to make sure the lexel adheres, I was planning on priming first, lexel, lastly top coat. Ok?
    You've got it right, though I have successfully painted Lexel a week later if it seems solidified (it does dry slowly if it's thick). Sorry for not getting back sooner, it's working season here!

Phil