+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Painting exterior metal

I am looking for recommendations on exterior metal paint for stairs, railings, fence and gates. I was told Benjamin Moore Alkyd was the best but afraid the high gloss would make the steps slippery and it's an expensive paint. Rustoleum protective Enamel is much cheaper and is available in flat finish. Do I paint the steps in flat finish and railings, gate and fence in high gloss? Please, any advice. I want the paint to last.

Default Re: Painting exterior metal

The higher the gloss the tighter the finish the longer the paint job lasts. That is why house exteriors are normally painted high gloss, which looks flat after a few weeks in the weather.

My 2 decade long preference is for Hammerite (which is sold by Rustoleuom Brand in the USA) for all exterior metal.

Used some today.

Thank you for the information. I read there is no need to prime with hammerite paint. Do you agree? I want to brush the paint, as opposed to spray, and I want a satin or glossy finish. Is this paint readily available at the big box stores? Is rustoleum brand the only hammerite paint you recommend? I also read it's hard to paint with this product. I'm up for the challenge, but if you have any tips, please pass them along.

According to the manufacturer, you don't need shiny metal. Some rust is OK as long as it isn't loose, flakey or powdery as paint doesn't stick to loose, powdery surfaces.

Home Depot carries Rustoleum Hammered paint in my area.

Its not hard to paint at all. The one trick which takes a little practice- apply the right amount to get the hammered look; too little and it looks brushed. Too much and it runs. The middle ground is easy to hit.

Use a good paint brush that costs more than $19

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post

Use a good paint brush that costs more than $19
    Do you mean $.19?

Most exterior metal paint failures occur under the paint not through wear or fading,, and most name brand alkyd enamel paints will last about the same length of time, color fading aside. That's where the better paints work better. Prep well leaving no red rust; light brown rust is actually the same oxide that metal primers have in them and once covered they will not deteriorate any further. Use a compatible primer if you want to, but with a good prepping I find this not very necessary most of the time. Rustoleum is one of my fave paints- I always get what I expect from it. I've always sprayed hammerite finishes but most folks prefer solid colors which are easier to brush apply. Stair treads will take a beating with wear, normally I'll repaint treads 2-3 times for each full repaint.

Phil